talk.kiezburn.org

2021 Budget Redistribution (Passed)

D Diarmaid Public Seen by 81

This is the discussion. To vote in the poll click here: https://talk.kiezburn.org/p/8WAKewP3/budget-redistribution-for-dreams

When the voting on Dreams ends, there will be money left over in the budget that has to be redistributed to dreams. This money will exist both because the LNT grant was not applied, and not every ticket holder will spend their tokens.

The current proposal for redistribution is as follows:

• All dreams which have reached their minimum budget are funded, and all stretch goals which have been voted for are funded

• Dreams are ranked on the percentage of their minimum budget that the community has voted on.

• All remaining budget is put into a big pot, and the first dream (i.e. the highest percentage that the community voted on) is funded up to the minimum budget.

• The remaining money is then applied to the next dream, and this step is repeated till we run out of money

It was brought up that this was unfair to some dreamers. Some dreamers might not know that they can change their minimum budget, or might not know that by doing so they could get funded. So a secondary proposal was made:

• Ignore minimum budgets completely

• Once voting ends, we take the money that has been distributed and treat it as tokens

• We revalue these so that we have spent the entire budget. We cap dreams at their maximum budget, with the unused tokens being reallocated in the pool.

• We then tell each dream what their budget recieved is. We ask them if they want to continue with the dream, knowing that they will only get this much funding.

• A HARD deadline is set on this, and dreamers who do not respond do not get funded. Length of the deadline to be determined.

• Once we know which dreams agree to go ahead, we take the tokens from the dreams which have been cancelled, and we distribute these to the dreams which have not been cancelled. Each dream would then receive some extra amount of funding.

PROPOSAL: That we change the budget redistribution from the previous model to the new model.

Note: A dream is only eligible for its minimum budget until we get the actual permit, which looks like it might not happen till the 20th of July. If we do switch, how will this be handled? This restriction no longer applies

CY

CJ Yetman Wed 30 Jun 2021 8:56AM

As a dreamer, can you advise whether I should...
1. modify my budget so that the minimum is already met today before midnight when the voting closes to guarantee that I get some funding, even if it's not as much as we wanted?
2. or, should I increase my budget today before midnight when the voting closes so that when dreams get funded anyway regardless of their minimum I'll get even more money than we originally asked for?
I'm a bit confused at this point at the consequences of these decisions.

AK

Alex Kaos Wed 30 Jun 2021 8:36AM

Well done Dreams Team on trying to make a swift pivot in a challenging situation.

I think this proposal is good, as the gamification of manipulating the minimum budget in the original plan would have meant that those that changed their minimum would have lost out, and those that didn't care/weren't able to pay attention will end up getting more money. I personally prefer to see active participants acknowledged for their efforts to bring their dreams to Kiez Burn.

Also, in this model, we are simply amplifying the intended desire of the voters. With an expected 50% engagement, we are keeping the decision of 'who get's the money' to the voters and not in the token redistribution process, or an unclear minimum budget limit.

A note to Dreamers. No matter which option we would have chosen, some would have lost and some would have gained. This is only the second time we have fully run the Dreams platform at Kiez Burn, we are on a new version of the platform, and the dreams team was completely new this year. On top of that, the Covid situation has delayed planning and confirmations for months, so the dreams team has been working incredibly hard to ensure as many of you get the support we all want you to have.

PLEASE BE PATIENT AND ALWAYS LOOK FOR THE ANGLE OF UNDERSTANDING WHEN INTERACTING WITH YOUR DREAM GUIDE. THIS SHIT IS COMPLEX.

MG

Melinda Gonzalez Wed 30 Jun 2021 7:43AM

Yes! Absolutely!! On the other hand, some Dreamers knew they could change their minimum budgets and some didn’t, meaning some could work the old system (and are actively doing so) to ensure that their minimum budget would be reached no matter what. Dream guides perceive the new system is fairer but, yes, it’s different and people will complain. We did spend many, many hours discussing this and we hope it will encourage everyone to vote for Dreams they like.

CY

CJ Yetman Wed 30 Jun 2021 7:14AM

Setting aside any opinion on which option is better for the moment... don't you think that making a dramatic change like this at this point after voting has already started and is almost complete opens yourself and the dream guides up to a bunch of nasty critique from disgruntled dreamers about why you made this change etc., whereas if you just leave things as they are/were you can at least wash your hands of responsibility and say "hey, that's just the way it is/has been, don't blame me"?

O

Otto Wed 30 Jun 2021 6:50AM

Love the proposal!

D

Diarmaid Wed 30 Jun 2021 7:49AM

Really like that video. Very clear explanation of how things were proposed

VRS

Veroca R. Sala Tue 29 Jun 2021 10:08PM

Hi Thanks for opening a discussion ( old discussion on kiez burn, how to be fair with dreams), I first want to thank you for all your work to try to make this process fair! you are awesome and we are so glad to have you❤️

Questions:

Are we gathering input to make a decision? Who do we need input from? Tags@?

When is the deadline to reach a decision?

References (context)

here is how was done in 2019 <<<< useful shit from Waldo! (distribution of tokens),

There is a video link very promising

D

Diarmaid Tue 29 Jun 2021 9:36PM

1) The rule about the minimum budget is their for a good reason. That means that this has to be passed by Finance before any emails are sent out.
2) This will mean that dreams will have money applied towards their stretch goals. This is a different treatment of the unvoted on money, and could mean that dreams which would otherwise have been funded will no longer get their minimum budget, and that could mean that the dream is no longer feasable.
3) This is more complicated and puts more work on the dream guides, do we have the capacity to actually do this? I know that I am a little burnt out after the past week.
4) All dreams will have a chance to use some funding - so there will be no dreams that go to Kiezburn which don't get at least their votes
5) The full budget that each dream will get will only be know later, when the dreams have dropped out.

D

Diarmaid Tue 29 Jun 2021 9:38PM

Thats what I meant actually, not every ticket holder will spend their tokens.

B

Bee Tue 29 Jun 2021 9:35PM

'This money will exist both because the LNT grant was not applied, and not everybody was funded.'
- Also a contributing factor: not everyone who bought a ticket has spent their tokens. (& Historically there were always left over tokens from ticket holders who didn't engage with the Dreams platform).

Seems like a lot of work for you to implement this second proposal, but I appreciate your commitment to making things as fair as you can. I would be interested to hear some of the Dreamers input as they will be most affected.