talk.kiezburn.org
Sun 24 Sep 2023 6:44PM

(DECISION MADE) When do we hold Kiez Burn 2024?

AK Alex Kaos Public Seen by 70

Proposer

Proposer (name, handle, etc.):

@Alex Kaos

@Chiara

Proposer’s role:

Upcoming Schatzmeister of the Verein and Finance Lead for KB 2024 (if KB is held in June. Otherwise I'm just a dreamer)

Comms Lead/Site Scouting Team member/Potentially upcoming Boardie 2024

The advice process

• Advice Process ending date: 22.10.2023

People/roles most affected by this proposal

• Potnetially Upcoming Boardies: @Natacha Kromatik, @Kaliope, @Bee , @Sadie @Chiara

• Potnetial Core Realizers: @Sven Dudink, @Patsy McDowell , @Kaylin , @Martin K , @Diarmaid, @Olivia khan-Do, @Purzel, @Ale , @Kris , @Jan Thomas , @Hanna-Maija (Animal) (incomplete list, please add)

• Camp Leads: @Cris , @Caro T , @Jaina Hirai, @Henrik 🤖 (incomplete list, please add)

• The current drivers of Burning Mars: Gregor, Alex, Andy, and others (not on Talk, please invite them if you can)

• Organizers of Art Bär: @Owl (others?)

• @Everyone

People/roles with the most knowledge and experience relevant to this proposal:

• Ex-Boardies and Advisors: @CJ Yetman , @walto , @Franzi , @Hanna-Maija (Animal) (incomplete list)

The proposal

Background

We have just completed the camp out at one of the new potential locations for Kiez Burn 2024, Secret Forest. The Site Finding team met afterwards and voted unanimously (8/8) that we should move to the new site. We're moving to Secret Forest! Yipeee!

• The new site is ca 1 hour from (northern) Berlin.

• Is a mix of airfield, forest and curious corners. Everyone loved the site on the visit.

• We will be the 3rd cultural event on the site. Only 3 cultural events in the year.

• Secret Forest (Würzeln festival) own the site, and are aligned with us in many ways, and are looking for a long-term partner.

• We can easily grow to 10,000 participants, if we want to

• They have water and electrictiy on site :)

This means that the dates of Kiez Burn are back in question. Previously our advice process (and practice before that) was to host KB in late June, on the soltice. This has many practical reasons:

• Doesn't clash with other European Burns are large local events (i.e Fusion)

• There is plenty of excitment and organizational energy at the start of summer that can get funnelled into the event, and then afterwards we can enjoy the summer without responsabilites (unless you're finance lead....)

• The days are long and often warmer than May.

As part of a site move, we also have to move the ENTIRE KIEZ BURN STORAGE:

• over 100m³ (2 large trucks) of materials, less than half of which belongs to KB ( the rest is kieze)

• ~3 hours drive north, load, then 4 hours drive south, unload.

• The storage situation is complicated, so camps will need to be planning to downsize their storage expectations from now now. The current proposed solutions are gonna need some extra work - we will need to start the weekend before build, which will make KB a 3-weekend experience for those who are most involved and giving the most time (core realizers/big camps/board)..

The proposal

The available date ranges at the new site are:

• 14. june - 3. july (Viable event dates are 19.6-23.6)

• 18 july - 8. august (Viable event dates are 31.7 - 4.8)

• 27. august - september

All of these could work in theory. The only question is the most valuable resource of all: Realizer Energy.

September is less busy but a little colder, and comes at the tail end of a hectic and often exhausting summer. Do we want to be in full organizational mode in August/September?

July clashes with Borderland and Nowhere, which are established burns and absorb a large number of active burners.

August was ok but problematic, we had major problems with realizer recruitment, everyone was very busy, the event clashes with many other non-Burns. The general sentiment seemed to be that a June event is better for the Realizers.

26-30 June is the Fusion weekend and shortly before Nowhere.

So in conclusion, June 19-23 are the best dates for Kiez Burn, with the storage move starting around the 9. If what matters most to Kiez Burn is Kiez Burn, and the resources of the realizers that will make it happen.

There is potential plans for another Burn in June, Burning Mars. They have secured the Feel site (about about 40 mins further south), and were planning to run in late June. Burning Mars would be a new event, in which the burners organizing are hoping to have 1000 participants. Currently there is an unconfirmed possibility to use the Mauersegler e.V. as a legal form, and otherwise there is no structures, plans or confirmed realizers. End of June is the only possible date for this event to run, at the Feel site. And there are concerns that if they pass up this year, that they may lose the opportunity to use the site at all in the future. After speaking with Gregor, we both also believe that Berlin cannot manage 2 large burns in late June.

There is another event, Art Bär, occuring in the 19-23 weekend, with much smaller number of participants and a different focus. The overlap shouldn't negativley impact the energetical requirement of both events. But it calls into question whether we prefer a direct overlap with a small burn (Art Baer 19-23) or with a huge festival (Fusion 26-30).

UPDATE:

Expected (but unconfirmed) Nowhere Dates: Build from the 5th July, event from 10-14th July

Borderland, expected end of July, very highly unlikely to cross-over with Nowhere, so probably : 21-28 July

This could mean that if we choose the August dates (~1-4 August) then our build (from 26 July) would cross-over with Borderland itself.

Both of these events could select the weekend before these dates. If they don't, then our August dates would definitely clash with Borderland. Something to be considered in the decision.

So it seems that question we need advice on is:

Is it worth it for Kiez Burn to move away from it's original, optimum and prefered date, to support a new local Burn in securing this particular site? Or what other variations are actually possible?

• Kiez Burn shrinking down for a year

• Mars being low-key for the first year

• Cancelling Kiez Burn and pouring our energy into Mars

• Keeping the Mars visionaries a part of Kiez Burn (which would be the default)

Constructive advice from all is welcome. We are particularily interested in the realizers and camp leads that are considering being a part of KB next year, and your thoughts on the matter, as you will be carrying the workload of the both the move and running of the KB event.

Who would implement this proposal

The Site FInding team in conjunction with the current and upcoming board

What would be the cost (time, money, effort, etc.) of this proposal

If we do KB in June, then we will have a lot more energy and focus to do the move and event. But June is tomorrow, so we need to start planning NOW.

If we do it in August, it will be much more challenging, organizationally, emotionally and physically.

The objective workload that needs to happen is the same in either case. It's just a question of realizer and camp's availabilty.

What are the advantages of this proposal (relative to the current situation and/or counter-proposals)

Kiez Burn goes back to the dates we love, and have extra energy for the move. We also get to enjoy the entire summer without having to look at discord or spreadsheets (except for recreational use of course)

What are the disadvantages of this proposal (relative to the current situation and/or counter-proposals)

Burning Mars might lose access to the Feel site permenantly. In which case it will need to find another gelände.

2 Big burn events end up competing for realizers and burning out the burners of berlin.

When is the decision being made?

By October 22nd

Decision

So, it is past October the 22nd, and so this advice process has come to an end.

Dates to choose between:

19-23 - June

31.7 - 4.8 - August

(These dates are the ones that have the least clash with Nowhere, Borderland, Fusion and Burning Man)

After speaking with most individuals that intend on taking on a realizer role for KB24, it is quite clear that there is a clear preference to hold the event on the June dates

Overview of 'votes';

June - 15

August - 5

No Preference - 4

Please note, that these preferences come with mixed range of personal preference (least valid element), practical organizational benefits (important), and capacity to realize based on the date (most important).

The benefits for June 👍

1. Earlier in the summer, and so realizers and volunteers have higher energy and concentration on the KB event (and are subsequently released from duty after strike)

2. Ability to share resources with the Secret Forest after their event (Rubbish containers, toilets, water systems, power, fence screening etc etc)

3. Not clashing with a large established European Burn (Borderland, which will likely be on the build dates for August)

The benefits for August 👍

- One month longer to plan. This is potentially outweighed by point 1 above

- Longer nights for blinkedy blinkedy (as an LED and Fire artist, this one I personally resonate with heavily)

- It would make Mars's establishment easier for this first year, next year they plan to move to August dates

Topics advised to remove from the decision process

- I agree with the advice that the weather is too unpredictable to give preference to either date.

- Our most likely move mission will be done in the spring period, and so has minimal effect on the dates choice.

- Burning Mars. Kiez Burners advised to make the date decision independently of unestablished projects, even if it is closely related in culture and community, and we support from that angle. So we should choose the best dates for KB, and allow other projects to also operate independantly.

As such I believe we have the best decision we could make under the circumstances!

🎉Kiez Burn should be held on it's original dates, the weekend of the 19-23 June🎉

In the interest of transparency, I am certain that this is not the perfect solution to make such a big decision, and there is never a decision that can satisfy everyone at this scale, but of the alternative methods proposed throughout the process, this seemed like the best way to go about it:

- Gathers the pros and cons for all to see and understand

- Allow the engaged realizers of KB24 to guide the decision by vote

I am personally very interested in alternative methods of decision making that might be applied for our meta-decisions (decisions that include everyone/many), please feel free to share any resources you might have here for reference. The Advice Process has many advantages, and many flaws, but we can always look to improve how we function as an event and community.

Thank you everyone who partook in this process for your time, attention, patience, deliberate advice, excellent online conduct and love for our event and community.

❤️ See you at our New Home ❤️

MK

Martin K Wed 27 Sep 2023 6:20PM

To me june seems to be the most reasonable date. The late august date is too late to make a comfy event, it can get quite cold in the nights. And to organise KB during the summer, while everyone is out having fun doesn't sound fun and too pragmatic.

The july date would theoretically work better, aside from clashing with the bigger burns (no biggy for me, but for a lot of people), but it clashs with Fusion a bit (taking out the realizers for a week during an important phase) and it would still clash with the orga of Mars.

Since june also was the go-to date in previous discussions and in addidtion with the possibility of using some material after their festival, I would vote for the june date.

Advantages of doing it after the Wurzelfestival in june:

• a lot of fencing from Wurzelfestival can be used and doesn't need to be put up for the free camping on the airfield

• a lot of view blocking (Sichtschutz) are hanging on the fences already

• (big) garbage containers are already placed on site and can be used, so we would pay less money for trash (save the delivery)

• (scrap) wood and other material can be used for free from the pile of the Wurzels

• lamps don't need to be placed on site

• rental toilets can be taken over, which would save money (delivery and placement)

• other constructions or material (set up bars) might be usable

• hopefully, maybe the forest isn't completely dry yet, regarding the Brandschutzstufe

Generally speaking KB faces a huge challenge in 2024, which is also a huge opportunity. It will show how endurable and flexible our structures are. Combined with the storage move this will need a lot more energy, time and focus than in the previous years. We should use the above mentioned advantages to reduce the amount of work. There is a lot to do, and I would second the move to focus the energies on one endeavour and start with orga now already,

Mars apparently is a huge project in itself which needs more than an idea and a date. And there dosn't seem to be much more at the moment, 9 months before. In my opinion, KB should focus on the transfer from Freiland.

A

AndyM Thu 28 Sep 2023 8:00AM

I am one of the people involved in the discussions about Burning Mars. It appears it will go forward but, as others have mentioned, there is a lot of work to do in a short amount of time. Since power and water are on site and the location has many events, that does make the orga a bit easier. The site manager and local community are also already on board. Cost estimates are already being gathered for key infrastructure.

I think the later dates for KB would allow both events to take place without making the Berlin burners have to choose between the two. Unfortunately, Burning Mars has only been given June dates to choose from and if those dates are not taken in 2024, then most likely the site will be lost for future years.

Later dates for KB also means that people are not having to choose between KB and other mid-summer events since they are all very close to each other.

As to the colder weather, I actually like cold nights where you can enjoy your faux furs and gather around fires. It also means the days are not brutally hot and you can sleep a bit during the day if you want/need to.

C

Chiara Thu 28 Sep 2023 8:38AM

@AndyM is Burning Mars planning to happen with 1000+ participants or is downsizing for the first year an option? And do you know if the available dates of the Gelande will stay the same in future years (meaning, if Kiez Burn goes for the June dates will we have the same problem next year?)

A

AndyM Thu 28 Sep 2023 9:13AM

Current discussions are for 1000 people. Smaller size had been discussed but the group appears to be leaning toward the 1000 mark. The dates will stay the same for subsequent years.

C

Chiara Thu 28 Sep 2023 9:16AM

disclaimer: the 19-23 June date is a logistical nightmare for me for personal reasons, but I'm trying my best to stay unbiased

I would find it very sad if Kiez Burn dates forced two newer burns to cancel two years in a row. But this absolutely highlights the need of finding a permanent date for KB, so other events can plan around it. Whatever date we decide this year, we should think of its impact in the long term.

June has obvious advantages in terms of realiser energies and reduced workload (fences, toilets and trash will be up and running already from their previous event) which would save us money and time in an already expensive and tiring year. But if Burning Mars will continue in future years and June is their only option to keep the event running, I'm very afraid of seeing the Berlin burner community split in two. Hopefully Kiez Burn has enough energy to survive and thrive, but I would love to hear more from past realisers and big camps whether they think they would stay with Kiez Burn if there was a long-term overlap between the two.

side note - I have the feeling this advice process is not reaching many people - does the @everyone tag work?

W

walto Thu 28 Sep 2023 10:11AM

Thanks for highlighting the need to get more input from realizers. Here is the FB group post to ping further :) https://www.facebook.com/groups/kiezburn/posts/3629335450646057/

W

walto Thu 28 Sep 2023 10:55AM

Such a luxury to have several potential burn initiatives in Berlin, each with great locations! I agree with the sentiment here, that a more permanent date needs to be found, so to give new initiatives the space & opportunity to find their time in the calendar.

Given today's realities, here's how I see the potential Kiez Burn dates:

• Personally, I would like a middle-of-July date, but I'd miss all my friends who are frolicking off elsewhere in Europe around that time. So rather not end of July

• End of August/beginning of September: it is a nice time of the year to decompress from the summer. Typically people are less energetic & involved - I would anticipate much less participation from volunteers. I would think Kiez Burn becomes a different kind of event if it'd happen around this time (less burn more decom) and probably should have less people (less realizers = lower size).

• June: we have had an amazing experience with these dates, with volunteer % positions filled at >90% (at least in the first 2-3 years, back when we had so many "virgins"). Purely from the POV of Kiez Burn, as a local burn with ambition, this looks like a better match.

• If this date is chosen, I think it would be good to have a final board-level check-in with Burning Mars if maybe there could not be a consensus reached after all - the Burning Mars vision to unite across communities + the site with lake, is worth the extra effort.

GS

Gregor Sohn Fri 29 Sep 2023 10:56AM

Hi Friends! Thanks Alex C and everyone for opening up the advice process so we can think this through together.

Here comes some background/development info:

Vision:

This project is not a one-off festivity; we hope to grow and come back in the next years around this time they give us. The idea of Burning Mars is to combine the personal and cultural interpretations of BRC under one roof in Germany, to make our communities meet with their structures and ways of communication in order to re-create a German and international affordable utopian landscape of the zeitgeist with our values we personally bring, i.e. the Vision is all YOURS!

Legal form/structure:

We had, amongst others, a discussion whether or not to create a new management structure or to use an existing one (Kick off meeting - thanks Waldo). We were in open communication but a bit many in the group because we tried to make everyone heard! Unfortunately, we didnt come to the conclusion of (slow) fusion about this in the aftermath of the presentation and the site visits to Secret Forest and Mars (yet).

So thus at the moment, it’s is probable that Mauersegler e.V. takes over the project with a holocratic approach. But: we could also have a meeting and maybe allocate tasks and manage the space with both structures or both associations for different duties, combining forces, whether or not this leads to a (slow) fusion or we just cooperate once and go back to what we do usually. It is all still possible!

Local authorities:

The F60 Management as well as the Amt are on our side to make this happen and need tons of info which we try to give them. Quite some specific info we leave blank for now. It is communicated to them that we can still change up to 100% of the info. We just need to hurry with default 2D mappings (thanks Jochen) and application forms so they get the feeling of security from us, so we can then discuss further and enter/change details and more.

Status of BM:

We started to outline the general needs and facilities (security fences, water, electricity, garbage, gate, (no) neighbors, (yes) fire etc) to give space to camps to chose and place themselves on the map, get them electricity etc. It’s a set roof structure for you to get wild with your existing structures and please more!

Budget & Size:

The idea was to calculate with 1000 pax. It can also be 500 or whatever we come up with. Security and some things need to be paid though which is not cheap so we need a certain number to break even in this little new not-for-profit project. Rent is cheap with 1k/production day. Ticket price for 5 days+ estimated at roughly 150€ tbc after we got all the info. It’s a bit flexible.

Storage:

On site and also in the next villages there’s several both open air and weather safe storage options for temporary and long use tbd. The Manager of Bergheider See is on it to help us.

Dates of Bergheider See/other festivals:

We went to Bergheider See for this project already last year to organize Burning Mars in 2023, but this didnt work due to Art Lake Festival RIP.

After waiting for 15 months, we were passively given the dates of mid-june, i.e. 12.-16.6.24 or 19.-23.6.24- ish.

We received this information 2 months ago and shared with Korg and others.

The dates of Burning Mars cannot be changed due to other activities at Bergheider See.

It would be smart, having in mind Fusion and Art Bär, to do Mars rather the WE of 15.6. This is also a decision of the Amt though which we believe we can get quickly.

So what do we do?

It is incredibly important that we feel good together as a team, whatever we decide.

If BM shall be big, we need the support from KB friends for them to entirely decide what and how they support.

Re Mars: we cannot change the dates from June to another month. We may lose this ridiculously amazing site forever if we don’t act now. It is the most beautiful festival site I’ve ever seen in Germany. We would already have moved due to the advantageous dates of KB in June (storage, Wurzel-facility-sharing etc) if we would have the possibility. We still hope that we can combine existing structures with all love and respect for each other incl., of course, the beauty of KB.

Having two gatherings in June would be a disaster, both internally in Germany and embarrassing on an international level. We could have two small gatherings e.g. 1,2 months or less apart, we could also talk and make both of us or just us smaller if that helps. If people decide to make both big or if there’s other new concerns there is only one option:

If there is no way out, we will cancel Burning Mars.

Love,

G

C

Chiara Fri 29 Sep 2023 12:58PM

@Gregor Sohn what do you mean with combining existing structures? I feel like doing Burning Mars and Kiez Burn together at Begheider See could have been a very interesting proposition to think about if it came months ago, when KB was in the middle of location scouting - but now after confirming Secret Forest and 9 moths before the event it seems really hard to entertain.

I also feel like two big burns in the Berlin area will eventually drain each other out, even if they are a month or two apart - and it's a big ask for Kiez Burn to downsize to let Burning Mars happen. Definitively feels like a huge shame to lose Begheider See, but it also feels unfair for Kiez Burn to lose the dates it's been trying to get back to since years - especially now, with all the extra work that the storage move and everything else will cause.

Not really sure how to get out of this situation without leaving one or both burns out of resources and with a bad feeling. :(

Last suggestion, how would Burning Mars feel about starting small for a year, as small as it can be to keep the site and test the waters, and then next year we can discuss further with more time at hand and some experience with both sites how the synergy between KB and BM could work? I feel like this would be necessary to keep the two events running this year, even if Kiez Burn was in August there is just not enough realiser power in the Berlin bubble to make two big events happen.

GS

Gregor Sohn Fri 29 Sep 2023 11:00AM

Last note re future growth: the site is endlessly big!

Load More