talk.kiezburn.org
Fri 29 Apr 2022 9:34AM

[Decision] Dogs at Kiez Burn 2022

S Sunniva Public Seen by 83

Last edited: 09.06.22

A decision has been made

• Who made the decision: @Sunniva

• When the decision was made: 13.05.22

• Decision Summary: I (Sunniva) will be this year's Dog Lead, and we will welcome up to 5 dogs at Kiez Burn this year!

• Following last years dog trial, and two weeks of community engagement and discussion about this year's proposal, and after adjusting the suggested agreements based on the feedback received, I have decided that there is sufficient support and agreement to go through with having dogs at the burn. I will now move forward with organising everything for this to happen as smooth as possible.

• If you have any questions about dogs at Kiez Burn, you can either comment in this thread, or reach out to me directly via Telegram: @sunniva, Talk: @sunniva or Discord: Sunniva (she/her) #6273

❣️ Use this form to apply to bring your dog to Kiez Burn.

❣️  Deadline to apply: 26.06.22

💕 🐶 💕

Short summary:

I propose to continue last year's initiative to allow a handful of dogs to Kiez Burn. I've listed a report from last year's experience, proposed agreements, and a few other practical things.

Proposer

@Sunniva

I've been in the Kiez Burn community since 2018, and I have a cute little street dog named Pepa (aka Jessica Freja Pepalicious). I'd love to continue last year's initiative in finding a wholesome and mindful way to bring a few dogs onsite.

Here's the link to last year's advice process: https://talk.kiezburn.org/d/D20BEOi4/-decision-dogs-at-kiez-burn-2021

Information gathered before posting & report from last year

• We know that Freiland allows dogs on their land, and that the area is usually used for dog walks. Unlike many other burn environments in terms of climate, sound levels and surroundings, Kiez Burn offers a particularly dog-friendly environment at Freiland.

• The dog trial in 2021 offered many learnings and observations, and I am confident that we can go through with this initiative in an even smoother way this year.

• We collected a lot of feedback during the event in 2021 that will be taken into consideration this year. I personally received overwhelmingly positive feedback about bringing dogs to the event in a considerate way.

• We also did a survey after the event where 64 community members shared their experiences with last year's dog trial. This feedback will be taken into consideration moving forward.

• Half of the survey participants (47,6 %) shared that their overall experience with dogs at the burn was positive, and 30,2 % shared that their experience was neutral.

• With a smaller percentage (20,6 %) stating that their overall experience with last year's dog trial was negative, and assuming that most of the Kiez Burn community members with a negative experience felt compelled to give feedback about it, I would say that these numbers are in favour of the dog trial!

• About folks allergic to dogs, we know that allergens from dogs are commonly spread in indoor environments. Because Kiez Burn takes place outdoors, it is my understanding that the risk of allergic reactions are severely decreased. In having restricted areas for dogs, and providing areas and spaces completely free of dogs, I believe that any allergic burner can peacefully coexist with our dogs during Kiez Burn. Source: https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/pet-allergy/symptoms-causes/syc-20352192

People/roles most affected by this proposal + with the most knowledge and experience relevant to this proposal

• Last year's Co-Dog Lead: @Hanna-Maija (Animal)

• Rangers for a radio: @Jessie

• Site leads in case of an incident: @Bee

• The community

The proposal

Background

Freiland is a beautiful dog-friendly area, and the Kiez Burn community has many passionate dog pawrents & friends of dogs. Allowing dogs onsite can be an inclusive alteration for some of our community members, and it can make all of us better equipped to welcome service dogs in the future too.

For Kiez Burn 2021, we realised a dog trial with the prospect of finding a wholesome and mindful way to bring a few dogs onsite. We collected a lot of feedback during the event in 2021 that is taken into consideration moving forward.

Proposal & implementation

These are the agreements I propose in order to allow dogs onsite during Kiez Burn 2022.

Agreements:

1. Dog Lead is the point of contact in incidents involving a dog onsite, and takes full responsibility in resolving matters, alternatively together with other leads, depending on the circumstances. Dog Lead will be available via radio throughout the event.

2. All dogs will be registered with the Dog Lead beforehand. There will be a sign-up sheet to make sure all requirements are met, and a maximum of 5 dogs will be allowed onsite throughout the event. Only healthy, kid friendly, chipped and vaccinated dogs with “Hundehaftpflicht” insurance will be allowed. The dogs will have lights on at nighttime.

3. All dogs will be supervised by a Responsible Human at any given time, and always on leash when walking around onsite. The Responsible Human makes sure the dog only goes where it’s allowed to go, removes all dog M(p)OOP, and cares for their dog's needs (shielding from loud sounds/agitated humans, providing sufficient water and food etc.). Dog Lead will provide mindful guidelines for all Responsible Humans prior to the event, and will carry a First Aid Kit + have access to a car in case of emergencies.

4. Dogs are not allowed in the First Aid Tent, Welfare or any kitchen areas. Camps and art installations can choose if their area is dog-friendly or not. It is the responsibility of the Responsible Human to make sure a space is dog-friendly before entering.

5. One person can be a Responsible Human for several dogs at a time if necessary.

6. Designated areas for dogs in enclosed spaces and structures where they can play or rest safely and unleashed while supervised can be provided. Dog Lead will make sure that these designated areas are sufficiently secured.

7. Dogs come second to meeting the needs of people. Any concerns, wishes and needs shall be respected without any further questions in all areas that are not designated areas for dogs.

8. All Responsible Humans are liable for the actions of their dog. If an incident occurs where a dog have caused fear or harm during the event, and mediation or support is needed, this is initially the responsibility of the Dog Lead. Depending on severity, the Responsible Human and their dog might have to leave the event. Site Lead makes the final call. Protocols for this will be cleared with Site Lead and Ranger Lead prior to the event.

9. All protocols, agreements and guidelines as well as a bullet list with crucial details for dogs at Kiez Burn will be shared with Gate, Site Leads and Rangers. A list with contact details and photos of the dogs will also be provided.

10. Dog Lead will have close contact with all Responsible Humans prior to and throughout the event. Dog Lead is also responsible to collect feedback, experiences and register incidents involving dogs at Kiez Burn.

Who would implement this proposal

@Sunniva will volunteer as this year’s Dog Lead. 

When this proposal would be implemented

I would like to move on with this proposal in a week’s time: Friday 13th of May at 15.00. The proposal would be set in action immediately after, and people could apply to bring their dogs throughout May.

The cost (time, money, effort, etc.) of this proposal

This proposal should have no direct impact on the finances of Kiez Burn. The goal is to be as independent as possible from other functions during the burn. Other leads should only be involved in case event of a severe incident.

What some advantages of this proposal are

My understanding is that this proposal is in line with the Kiez Burn principles, and that it especially honours the principles of Inclusion, Immediacy and Radical Self-Expression, as well as the unwritten principle of All Things Cuddly. We would be able to welcome and include community members together with their canine companions.

What some disadvantages of this proposal are

Kiez Burn originally has a strict no pets policy (with the exception of service dogs) that is listed under “inclusion” in one of the eleven Kiez Burn principles. This proposal suggests an alteration to the no pets policy in the Kiez Burn principles.

Please share any suggestions, objections, feedback and similar before Friday 13th of May at 15.00.

Thank you for reading through!

NR

Nick Reiher Wed 4 May 2022 2:38PM

About signs: a printed A4 attached to cardboard could be a thing to relatively easy make quite a few at once. I have so much cardboard at home that I could help with that part :). And maybe even test my design skills to make the sign too.

I am wondering how this fits in with kid-friendly vs. kid-free zones. How do the responsible adults let children know where they are allowed to go / not go? I know that camps list if they are kid-friendly in the signup, but how is this communicated on site?

A

Ale Sun 1 May 2022 3:59PM

Loving the way you’re both communicating! Last year the dogs were leashed all the time. At least every time I saw them. And I know it was also a requirement for the dogs to be allowed at kiezburn.

S

Sunniva Mon 2 May 2022 7:33AM

Yeah thanks for sharing @Universe!

We won't have a Dog Kiez this year but point number 7. in our agreements is particularly important to me because of some of the things you mention:

7. Dogs come second to meeting the needs of people. Any concerns, wishes and needs shall be respected without any further questions in all areas that are not designated areas for dogs.

This year those designated areas would be sparse. It could be crate in a tent or an area in a camp that has agreed on it. Which means that all other spaces at the whole burn will go by the rule above that dogs come second to meeting the needs of people.

I will personally provide mindful guidelines to all Responsible Humans about the responsibility of creating a kinder and safer space for everyone involved. Communication and social skills, mindfulness and consent is key. I hope these agreements and guidelines will offer you some relief!

S

Sunniva Mon 2 May 2022 8:24AM

Thanks for chiming in @Nick Reiher!

The Dog Trial Survey was shared on Talk, FB and on the Kiez Burn Telegram Channel last fall. 13 people answered that their overall experience with dogs at Kiez Burn was negative. Our follow-up question was: "What did you think of this year's dog trial? What was your experience with the dogs onsite? What would you need to be more comfortable around dogs at Kiez Burn? Anything else you'd like to share?"

Here's some things they shared:
- They were opposed to the concept of dogs onsite in principle
- They were worried about the sound level not being dog-friendly
- They were worried that there would be even more dogs at the burn in the future (we only had 3 last year)
- They were concerned about potential risks like dogs biting and about the safety of kids interacting with the dogs
- They didn't like dogs barking, as this made them nervous and anxious
- They nearly stumbled over a dog in the dark, and this made them worried about having dogs at the burn in general
- A few of them had negative experiences with one dog that was not part of the dog trial, and who was roaming free onsite without a leash

Only a few of them shared about specific negative experiences with dogs at the burn, and most of those experiences had been with a dog that was not part of the dog trial.

In addition to the survey, I spent a big chunk of last year's burn asking around for people's experiences, and what they've heard others say about it. I'm also taking this feedback into consideration when drawing the conclusion about the numbers of the survey being in favour of last year's dog trial.

When drawing that conclusion I'm referring to what's called a negative bias. From my nearly 2 decades with organizational activism, it is my experience that negative feedback travels faster than any other feedback. I think this article explains some of the nuances around this pretty well: https://www.verywellmind.com/negative-bias-4589618

As I wrote in another comment, I am devoted to honouring the feedback we received last year. The dogs will have to be kid-friendly, non-reactive (as in not the ones that tends to bark a lot), and clearly visible in the dark with lights and reflectives. There's many cool and affordable sound protection products for dogs that I'll be trying out this year and that I'll recommend the others too. I've capped the number at maximum 5 dogs, and it'll probably be less than that in the end. I'm very positive that we can find a way to do this smoothly 😎

S

Sunniva Sun 8 May 2022 1:57PM

Thanks for offering to help with materials for the signs, I might take you up on that in the beginning of July if that's ok with you 🤗

About the kid-friendly and non-kid-friendly areas, as far as I know these are communicated via the programme exclusively, except for a few verbal check-ins throughout of course.

S

Sunniva Sun 8 May 2022 2:02PM

Thanks @Jaina Hirai 🙂 Yeah I'm aiming to change the rule on a longer term. Including last year's official dog trial, I'm treating this year as an extended kind of trial as well. If it goes well and we all feel confident about this thing, it will be more of a part of the agreements and rules for Kiez Burn, and less of an exception. At least that's how I imagine it for now.

S

Sunniva Thu 9 Jun 2022 12:07PM

Update: The deadline to apply to bring a dog to the burn has been extended to the 26th of June!

❣️ Use this form to apply to bring your dog to Kiez Burn: https://forms.gle/WAXGAJuqSBPTp8RZ8

Item removed

S

Sunniva Fri 13 May 2022 2:11PM

A decision has been made: I'll be this year's Dog Lead, and we'll welcome up to 5 dogs at Kiez Burn this year!

❣️ Use this form to apply to bring your dog to Kiez Burn: https://forms.gle/WAXGAJuqSBPTp8RZ8

❣️ Deadline to apply: 08.06.22

The application form will also be shared in the newsletter, Telegram channel, on Discord and Facebook. If you have any questions about dogs at Kiez Burn, you can leave a comment in this thread, or message me directly via Talk, Telegram: @sunniva or Discord: Sunniva (she/her) #6273

JH

Jaina Hirai Thu 5 May 2022 10:53AM

Sunniva, this is a very thoughtful and careful proposal. I support up to 5 dogs on site, always on leash. There is a part of me that feels like this is an odd exceptional rule, to be a "no dogs" space that has a few dogs nonetheless, but I do not object.

Load More