talk.kiezburn.org

Will Kiez Burn happen in a New Location in 2022?

VRS Veroca R. Sala Public Seen by 76

UPDATE: Due to some noise complaints by neighbors (that partly involved the police), Freiland offered hosting us again in 2023, but doesn't want us to set up a big sound system anymore. Check the last comment below for more info. This means: Either we have a much quieter event next year (no more semi-loud camps either – that doesn't always seem to have worked out), or we move.

🎯 WHO CAN SUPPORT US WITH FINDING A NEW VENUE?

Opening this space after seeing a Facebook post in the Kiez Burn Group where have been opinions about sound camps and the sound restriction coming from our current location, Freiland ( actually, not Freiland, but the neighbors)

To better understand the problem, perhaps these slides will clarify.

• Could we do better and be more inclusive with sound camps next year at the same location?

• Is there a location scout team willing to step up NOW and search for new possibilities?

• pros and cons?

If we want to change the location we should start soon as this decision should be in place at least 5 months before the event..

References and threads from the past:

Note: The results from the census 2021 arent yet published but they will be soon. That information might be very valuable. As the results of it are more factual than what we as participants, have experienced/perceived at the Burn.

Pros and cons about moving away from our current location Freiland

Change location: PROs

Stay at Freiland: CONs

Storage

• Kiez Burn still has some leftover money and could maybe support moving the items from storage

• Switch storage barn will probably be a massive mission and expensive

• not only a new location but new storage needs to be found

Sound

• fewer sound restrictions
    (at least pbbly the first year until neighbors raise complaints?)

• no official sound complaints in 2021 due to our better sound concept and Freiland's close neighbourhood relationships

• people liked that less music has been played

Relationships

• Other locations might have better relationships with local amt and neighbors?

• right now we have a good standing in the neighbourhood & with the Amt

• Freiland supports us

• rebuild relationships

• New & bigger space, new ideas

• more free spots for art & camp interaction

• we know exactly what we're dealing with and can build on our expertise from the last years

• substainable development and longterm investment possible (e.g. eco compost toilets, production container)

Growth & culture

• in order to maintain and grow its culture & become more "burny", Kiezburn should grow in size and the ratio of international burners (means: sell more tickets)

• do we really want to/can we grow so fast? what's sustainable?

• it could be less intimate if space is bigger (means: sell the equal amount of tickets)

Principles

• maybe the new location brings another spirit and new attendants

• harder to keep track of and promote the missing principles of e.g. LNT

• expansion when things are not only not working but actually getting worse is never a good idea

• moving to a more sound-oriented location might very likely amplify troubles

Time

• maybe someone who is very active in this discussion wants to take the lead?

• finding a new location costs time & energy that is missing elsewhere

• nobody stepped up so far for this

EJ

Erin Jeavons-Fellows Tue 12 Oct 2021 2:36PM

So, I did some calculations for the Kunts to move their things, which is a new camp with not much stuff (8sqm ceiling high in storage Freiland). We will need a task force of 10 people + transport of those humans... then 1-2 trucks (depending on size and what our licenses allow us), driving from the existing venue to where ever the new venue is. Then petrol expense on top. thats about 900 euros at least

We have approx 30 camps to consider moving. Its a big coordination effort. I'm raising this so its not overlooked.

It's my wish to find a new venue and a new storage but we will need a committed storage team to figure this out and rally the cats. I perceive this to be the largest part to consider in a change of location.

I recall the venue we found in 2020 had storage but it needed significant work done to the building to make it secure. That may also need to be considered!

VRS

Veroca R. Sala Tue 12 Oct 2021 2:45PM

Hi @Randy Pence I have added on the thread itself a sheet with two columns with the pros and cons of moving to a new location.

Sounds like a sunk cost fallacy to hold the event hostage by the proximity to the storage of things which get used once a year.

What could happen is that another burn gets organized, because there isn't enough capacity for the demand at freiland, a different location offers more flexibility, etc and after a year or two, enough of the org and significant camps decide to join the other, because eco toilets and water are not that difficult to come by in germany and kiez burn implodes.

Do you mean with your previous comment that having to transport all storage and finding new storage is not a "con" that weighs on the decision? Am I understanding your perspective correctly?

RP

Randy Pence Tue 12 Oct 2021 3:12PM

I totally get that moving a bunch of stuff sucks. I work in a sound reinforcement company and every single job means packing and unpacking vehicles. My stuff generally has wheels and cases and it still sucks. Decorations and whatnot after a burn are probably less organized and therefore even less fun.

Of course it is a con to move all the stuff, the question is whether keeping it near freiland is worth more than finding a better home for it. There are a simply a lot more potential local burn participants who might either or both not have too much stuff stuck up there and interest to have a burn elsewhere.

RP

Randy Pence Tue 12 Oct 2021 3:18PM

having to pay for the transport of other camps stuff doesnt sound like radical self reliance. Why should any new kiez or one which organized their stuff elsewhere have to pay for your transport? Moving org stuff, yes, I can understand such logistics costs getting passed on.

And I totally get that there is also the aspect of community and it might sound kind of callous. How big was your kiez?

K

Kaliope Tue 12 Oct 2021 9:04PM

I understand very well why you compare this to your job @Randy Pence.... However, we should remember how high the motivation of the community was to go a second and a third time to the Freiland site to clean up the MOOP remains after this year's Burn. That alone took massive power and energy, and no one is even getting paid for it. It could be that moving to another spot means more work for the KORG. New location, new contacts, new infrastructure etc.

Sometimes, ideas and demands in the first place and then the actual commitment can diverge massively... I'm not against looking for a new location – someone has to take care of that, and the new place has to be clearly convincing and the community needs to be highly motivated for doing this move 😉

Of course, there is great potential to attract more and more people who are interested in a local burn. The folks who don't have much stuff in storage tend not to get involved so much with art installations or theme camps – and that's what makes this very event, Kiez Burn, so wonderful! Let's see how this develops...

PAK

Paul aka Khromo Wed 13 Oct 2021 10:40AM

Con - bigger venue, less intimate burn.

Con - harder to keep track of and promote the missing principles of leave no trace and gifting before expansion. Id argue this needs to be addressed first. Otherwise, its going to take you twice as long to clear the venue when it's over.

Speaking from a non-musical point of view, do we need more space for more ideas?

The impression I got was that there was the space, but no-one was utilising it. What are you going to fill the extra space with....?

RP

Randy Pence Wed 13 Oct 2021 11:26AM

Why not reduce the number of tickets, if intimacy is the goal? Is intimacy the goal? Alternatively, is Freiland actually intimate? There are so many unusable areas that one has to walk around that I fail to see how intimacy is relevant to the discussion.

Roughly the same amount of people participated this year as 2 years ago, so this year's problems can't be tied to number of participants. There have been larger burns elsewhere, How did they handle LNT and gifting?

Art project ideas can require a fair amount of space. The original planning was to concentrate projects on the mesa, but in practice, that runs out of room quickly.

RP

Randy Pence Wed 13 Oct 2021 11:45AM

As replied to Paul, moop wasn't as much of an issue with a similar number of people 2 years ago. What changed?

Kiez Burn had to move to a new location in its second year. All of the scary new stuff you mention already had to be faced and the event concept did not fall apart, so why so much resistance now?

I really don't see how much stuff one puts into storage dictates their involvement. Workshops do not require stored pallets of stuff. Neither does planning. And if the same art is to be recycled every year, people will be probably get bored of the same stuff

PAK

Paul aka Khromo Wed 13 Oct 2021 12:22PM

Why reduce tickets? I said it was a con to move, not a pro to stay.

I only remember one big art idea in five years, and that for rejected because of cost.

Personally, I like small and compact rather than large and widespread, but that's just me.

But going back to my initial point: the only b reason being put forward for a move is less sound restrictions.

RP

Randy Pence Wed 13 Oct 2021 7:40PM

reduce tickets to foster more intimacy. fewer people, potentially more interactions with the same people. Does that make sense? No? Well, I don't consider location size to have anything to do with potential intimacy. Nothing prevents a few compatible camps from being next to each other and providing a cozy neighborhood to hang out in. Put all the potentially loud shit somewhere else. In fact, enlarging the location makes it more possible to do so.

I understand not being able to devote resources to just just one art project when there are only a thousand participants. With more participants, it would be easier to spread out the costs for an exceptional project, and provide support for more. Hence, the diversity sought out by a bigger burn.

Yes, a move would potentially mean less sound restrictions, but lots of other options, too. You might not be a musically inclined person, but you must accept that there is a huge block of burners who are. You argue hard in the direction of a small, silent burn, of which there are many more options than for those accommodating amplified music. If I'm wrong and most burns actually have amplified music, then perhaps that means that is what burners want.

Load More