talk.kiezburn.org

Will Kiez Burn happen in a New Location in 2022?

VRS Veroca R. Sala Public Seen by 76

UPDATE: Due to some noise complaints by neighbors (that partly involved the police), Freiland offered hosting us again in 2023, but doesn't want us to set up a big sound system anymore. Check the last comment below for more info. This means: Either we have a much quieter event next year (no more semi-loud camps either – that doesn't always seem to have worked out), or we move.

🎯 WHO CAN SUPPORT US WITH FINDING A NEW VENUE?

Opening this space after seeing a Facebook post in the Kiez Burn Group where have been opinions about sound camps and the sound restriction coming from our current location, Freiland ( actually, not Freiland, but the neighbors)

To better understand the problem, perhaps these slides will clarify.

• Could we do better and be more inclusive with sound camps next year at the same location?

• Is there a location scout team willing to step up NOW and search for new possibilities?

• pros and cons?

If we want to change the location we should start soon as this decision should be in place at least 5 months before the event..

References and threads from the past:

Note: The results from the census 2021 arent yet published but they will be soon. That information might be very valuable. As the results of it are more factual than what we as participants, have experienced/perceived at the Burn.

Pros and cons about moving away from our current location Freiland

Change location: PROs

Stay at Freiland: CONs

Storage

• Kiez Burn still has some leftover money and could maybe support moving the items from storage

• Switch storage barn will probably be a massive mission and expensive

• not only a new location but new storage needs to be found

Sound

• fewer sound restrictions
    (at least pbbly the first year until neighbors raise complaints?)

• no official sound complaints in 2021 due to our better sound concept and Freiland's close neighbourhood relationships

• people liked that less music has been played

Relationships

• Other locations might have better relationships with local amt and neighbors?

• right now we have a good standing in the neighbourhood & with the Amt

• Freiland supports us

• rebuild relationships

• New & bigger space, new ideas

• more free spots for art & camp interaction

• we know exactly what we're dealing with and can build on our expertise from the last years

• substainable development and longterm investment possible (e.g. eco compost toilets, production container)

Growth & culture

• in order to maintain and grow its culture & become more "burny", Kiezburn should grow in size and the ratio of international burners (means: sell more tickets)

• do we really want to/can we grow so fast? what's sustainable?

• it could be less intimate if space is bigger (means: sell the equal amount of tickets)

Principles

• maybe the new location brings another spirit and new attendants

• harder to keep track of and promote the missing principles of e.g. LNT

• expansion when things are not only not working but actually getting worse is never a good idea

• moving to a more sound-oriented location might very likely amplify troubles

Time

• maybe someone who is very active in this discussion wants to take the lead?

• finding a new location costs time & energy that is missing elsewhere

• nobody stepped up so far for this

E

Eric Fri 8 Oct 2021 11:37AM

A small festivals with a site that allows as much sound as you want would likely not be an improvement for me and some in our camp. Kiezburn to me is not a solely sound festival, and having periods in the day where the loud base does not imposed on neighboring spaces allows for workshops, silliness, and other energy to develop. Also for a 5-6 day event, having times during the week where you can sleep well due to the sound restrictions was extremely important to me. I liked that the freiland site requires moderation of the desires of sound camps. And I found that there were multiple spaces and many many hours of extremely loud techno to enjoy. Underworld was incredible as was the saloon and the live stage.

AP

Alexander Paulski Fri 8 Oct 2021 11:50AM

I think the discussion of a new location goes way beyond sound camps. Yes, a burn is not a music festival. There were no sound camps at Burning Man until the mid 90s. Yet music is an innate part of our culture.

Nevertheless, I opt for scouting a new location. In order to maintain and grow its culture and become more "burny", Kiezburn must grow in size and the ratio international burners.

Furthermore, we need a space that allows for more interaction in the camps places along the roads - a place that is more open and allows camps to rethink their infrastructure.

This does not imply music 24/7. But a new space offers more possibilities for sound camps, (interactive) large-scale and possibly even permanent art, plazas etc.

AP

Alexander Paulski Fri 8 Oct 2021 11:54AM

@Eric when you say "I found that there were multiple spaces and many many hours of extremely loud techno to enjoy." this is exactly the problem being discussed: a lack of diversity. Even if the music that was played is up your alley, it might not be everyone cup of tea. And frankly, I do not see a single reason to place Underworld every year at the most central spot without any further discussion about it.

K

Kris Fri 8 Oct 2021 12:27PM

Getting a site that enables more shenanigans and expressions is the best frame making initiative the org can take at the moment.

This isn’t just about sound and we shouldn’t distract ourselves with a “should it be loud or not” discussion.

I’m free to help scout until the new year, but my German is useless.

CY

CJ Yetman Fri 8 Oct 2021 1:25PM

Since location scouting was already done a couple years ago, and at least one viable option was found, should we not begin by at least reviewing the results of that process again? As far as I remember, between Freiland and this other option, it was tough decision. Maybe that decision would sway the other way with another year of context at Freiland?

VRS

Veroca R. Sala Fri 8 Oct 2021 2:04PM

Thanks for the input. I value people participating in this channel

I agree is not about sound or not sound. However, I disagree with the statement that "Kiez burn must grow in size". I think that has to do with perhaps something you pursue that I'm not reading (?) Bigger art installations perhaps will need more pace indeed...

A community that didn't manage well to hold up with the principles in the last event I personally don't think is ready to grow in size but in "quality" regardless of the country of origin or residence.

I believe that the diversity of participants at the event comes down to the way we sell tickets as well rather than what the space offers in square meters let's say.

Maybe the Kez burn population growth discussion should be discussed separately(?) as it was done before https://talk.kiezburn.org/d/QaEJ9Fit/-advice-process-kiez-burn-population-growth-

VRS

Veroca R. Sala Fri 8 Oct 2021 2:08PM

Yes! I couldn't find a thread or doc with the locations found back then. If you have it would you share it here 🙏

VRS

Veroca R. Sala Fri 8 Oct 2021 2:38PM

updated this thread with some links as reference

CY

CJ Yetman Fri 8 Oct 2021 3:18PM

CY

CJ Yetman Fri 8 Oct 2021 3:19PM

I guess everything in this folder is relevant https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1yN4g9kwp_cd3CsrPhpf30bKlk59T23ik

Load More