Mon 24 Feb 2020 10:33PM

2020 Location Decision

P Purzel Public Seen by 126

Final Statement:

Hey KiezBurners!

We, the location team, have made a final decision for Kiez Burn 2020. 

We have gone through a very long & carefully deliberated process to get to this point. We have spent time researching potential new locations, and evaluating in lots of detail the necessary steps we would need to take at either Freiland or Muckwar to create the best Kiez Burn possible, within the restrictions from the land owners and local authorities.

We have finally decided that we will Burn this year at Freiland, which has been our location for the last two years. While the sound limitations are challenging at Freiland, this is not a silent Burn, it is quieter Burn. There will be sound, and we will work closely with the sound camps to squeeze the maximum out of the situation. We are looking for sound professionals to support us with this - please reach on Talk if you can help!

One of the key issues with Muckwar was, despite the open land, it is classified as a forest. A fire warning level of 4-5 could potentially mean a cancellation of the event immediately before or during Kiez Burn. It is also not possible to burn anything at the Muckwar site, meaning no effigy, and potentially no flow camp or cigarettes.

There were a lot of strong pros and cons for both locations and we had a very close vote with 4-3, following a lot of discussion regarding the best decision for the community as a whole. 

As you can understand, this has been a difficult decision for us all, and we are aware of different voices from the community having their own personal reasons why one is preferred over the other. We’ve tried to make this decision as inclusive and transparent as possible, giving it two months for the Advice Process and location survey to make sure everyone’s voice is heard.

Unfortunately no one decision can please everyone. We will continue the location scouting process, to reach an ideal solution for 2021 to suit the community’s vision for the future of Kiez Burn. With the location decision finally behind us - let’s all get cracking to create Kiez Burn 2020! 

Love from your Location Team!

@Purzel , @Erin Jeavons-Fellows , @Jan Thomas , @Andrea Paracucchi , @Amihay Gonen , @Ancka , @Bee


Bee Mon 24 Feb 2020 10:39PM

@waldo Please can you pin this post for us? :)


Christoph Völkl Tue 25 Feb 2020 9:42AM

I feel like everyone calms down a little bit now. Thanks for taking the final decision and let's get started!


Martijn Tue 25 Feb 2020 10:43AM

Awesome thank you all.
Long live underworld ;-)


Paul aka Khromo Tue 25 Feb 2020 11:33AM



Carnelian King Tue 25 Feb 2020 11:54AM

What time will it mean camps have to be quiet?


Bee Wed 26 Feb 2020 2:34AM

Thanks lovely :)


walto Tue 25 Feb 2020 6:25PM

also, you are now admin for this group @Bee


Bee Tue 25 Feb 2020 1:57PM

This is not something we have yet made any restrictions on (and probably won't independently as this decision would include - as well as Site Liason - the Sound & Kieze leads or anyone putting forward an Advice Process for quiet times).

There's a lot more detail on the original proposal of the AMT requirements though. :)


Martijn Tue 25 Feb 2020 12:09PM

Pretty sure that falls under:
"  There will be sound, and we will work closely with the sound camps to squeeze the maximum out of the situation. "