talk.kiezburn.org

2021 Leave No Trace Grant

D Diarmaid Public Seen by 56

As it is currently written, every dream is eligible for the LNT grant, and it is not very well defined what the terms of this grant are. This has lead to it being applied pretty inconsistently throughout the dreams.

Should we cancel this grant, apoligise to the dreamers, and leave it like that, or should we fund every dream to start with 10% of their minimum budget?

My vote is to remove this grant. This is really sucky for the dreamers, but seems the fairest way forward, rather than having it inconsistently applied.

MG

Melinda Gonzalez Wed 30 Jun 2021 4:19PM

Sorry, Roko. We are an inexperienced team and we screwed up with this. It was originally meant to be, "leave a better trace," like planting trees and such but newer guides sort of interpreted it how they wanted and gave it to a few camps that should maybe not have got it. The LNT funds were granted without any consistency and in a hurry. There was no good way to fix it this year. The LNT funds will go back into the pool of total Dreams funds and will (if the new proposal is carried by the community) be distributed according to votes, rather than any special bonuses.

D

Diarmaid Mon 28 Jun 2021 10:16PM

If I remember your notes correctly, there was only one dream which actually qualified, and that dream did not have any budget. Can you confirm that?

L

Lis Tue 29 Jun 2021 8:35AM

LNT was given to 11 dreams and since I didn't get the criteria how some of the dreams got qualified for the grant and others not, I started to take notes, which I brought in for a further discussion.

The Dreamers Manual 2021 says very short:

"Kiezburn encourages artists to re-use/recycle their artworks! Artists who can prove their Dream will Leave No Trace will automatically receive 10% of their requested minimum grant money (*as long as the other 90% is received with voting/tokens)"

And YES (as it should be in all Burns) a majority of the dreams care about this rule and the "environmental impact".

BUT how can we prove? It's almost impossible before we see a dream realized on site and after strike.... There are only very few dreams - mostly without or low budget - that look kind of qualified for LNT grant in both ways of the "Manual". AND way more dreams (than only 11) that care about re-use and re-cycling.

So what do we do?

Cancelling LNT-grant? (But in the same time it's very important to encourage dreamers for LNT)

Defining a very strict LNT-rule?

Or a less strict one? Giving the grant already, if re-use/re-cycling is mentioned...?? (But still transport/fuel and other material costs appear...)

One thing for sure: We need a clearer definition!

D

Diarmaid Fri 25 Jun 2021 2:37PM

Yes, it will. The money will still go to dreams, just via the final process instead of through a decision made by a guide.