talk.kiezburn.org
Fri 6 Mar 2020 10:00PM

2020 Newsletters - Mailchimp alternative?

W walto Public Seen by 49

Unfortunately, we will soon hit the limit of Mailchimp.

We currently have 2 audiences:

• 2019 ticket holders

• Kiez Burn Verein (Which I think is the people subscribing to our newsletter on our website)

Although we could use segments and tags for now, I believe it to be unwise to rely on them, since they are not so self-explanatory. We could easily mix them up when sending out emails. Within the 2019 ticket holders audience, there is also extensive use of tags regarding dreams etc. already.

In addition, the free version only allows for 2000 contacts. The paid versions are really expensive

Conclusion

We need to look for an alternative for Mailchimp rather soon (before we start selling 2020 tickets).

Any suggestions?

K

Kaliope Sun 26 Sep 2021 8:16AM

Hi @Nora Flora the census info has already been sent because it was a little urgent, Saskia thought it would be shared on September 7th

W

walto Sun 8 Mar 2020 10:33PM

it is dependent on how many subscribers you have, we currently have about 1500, selling tickets, this will increase to minimum 2500

A

Alejandro Wed 22 Sep 2021 8:49AM

The free forever plan has 2500 subscribers so is a win win from the first moment since we are having problems with 2500 in mailchimp. We never reached more than 2500 subscribers, even during the planning of the event, so we don't even need to worry now about 5000 subscribers. I think all these services already are GDPR compliant. We will get some annoying form to fill to say we will not make spam and that's it, that's what I experienced in other mailing services. I think using Sender is a great optimization we can do now.

W

walto Sun 8 Mar 2020 10:37PM

thanks for that tip, requested it on their website.

W

walto Tue 10 Mar 2020 5:26PM

And we got it. Thanks @Alina, also known as Milda!

@Alexxx something for the budget discussions: paying for Mailchimp...

DU

Alina, also known as Universe Tue 10 Mar 2020 9:02PM

nice one, thank you @waldo @Alexxx - I've spent about 2 hours researching Mailchimp alternatives and have not found anything worth the time spent migrating from one solution to another. Most will ask to pay from >2000 contacts on the email list anyways. I would personally advocate for paying for Mailchimp - once we have to. Unless we want to separate the Verein list to a different account and keep Mailchimp free for a bit longer that way. I am not sure why Waldo is getting higher prices - but I saw quoted (see above) just under 9 Euros a month for 50000 contacts (Essentials plan).

W

walto Thu 12 Mar 2020 5:41PM

Looked stuff up: so it is a little more nuanced than that: https://talk.kiezburn.org/d/HhXzZsBS/tickets/30

anyways, I now archived all the 2019 ticket holder contacts in Mailchimp, which will also reduce our Mailchimp bill :)