talk.kiezburn.org
Fri 6 Mar 2020 10:00PM

2020 Newsletters - Mailchimp alternative?

W walto Public Seen by 49

Unfortunately, we will soon hit the limit of Mailchimp.

We currently have 2 audiences:

• 2019 ticket holders

• Kiez Burn Verein (Which I think is the people subscribing to our newsletter on our website)

Although we could use segments and tags for now, I believe it to be unwise to rely on them, since they are not so self-explanatory. We could easily mix them up when sending out emails. Within the 2019 ticket holders audience, there is also extensive use of tags regarding dreams etc. already.

In addition, the free version only allows for 2000 contacts. The paid versions are really expensive

Conclusion

We need to look for an alternative for Mailchimp rather soon (before we start selling 2020 tickets).

Any suggestions?

DU

Alina, also known as Universe Sat 7 Mar 2020 10:44PM

I've done basic research and cannot find a better option for less money - at least, not something that would make the migration worthwhile by guaranteeing savings/free plan for long time into the future. You seem to have higher plan price figures showing? I get Essentials (next step up, for up to 50000 contacts) at just under 9 EUR/month? Also - we can try to apply for a 15 percent non profit discount they offer?

DU

Alina, also known as Universe Sat 7 Mar 2020 10:51PM

Mailchimp non-profit discount is based on proof. I suspect the Verein status would be enough? On the website, they ask for...

"If you’re a nonprofit based outside the United States, you’ll need to provide a link to your organization’s website.

If it's not extremely obvious on your website that you're a nonprofit, we may require you to email us additional proof of your nonprofit status."

https://mailchimp.com/help/about-mailchimp-discounts/

DU

Alina, also known as Universe Sat 7 Mar 2020 10:53PM

Last thought: create a completely separate Mailchimp account for the Verein, and keep using the one we got for the event.... Until we have to pay...again ;)

EJ

Erin Jeavons-Fellows Wed 11 Mar 2020 9:19AM

Can we please check what email list (again) we have been using for the newsletter send out?
It seems that people who didn't sign up for the newsletter again received it because we simply downloaded the tickets list from burner tickets which isn't GDPR compliant. I thought this was corrected last year, but this issue seems to be popping up again. How can we resolve this before more newsletters are being sent out? @waldo

K

Kaliope Tue 21 Sep 2021 10:05PM

Reviving this age-old thread here 😌 Since our Mailchimp subscription has been paused and @Saskia (The Fuzzy Facilitator) needs to communicate the census asap, I had a look at https://www.sender.net/ – it's way cheaper than good old Mailchimp and comes with some great features like the ones our old email campaign management system had as well. "Send" is very intuitive and for 5.000 subscribers we'd get rid of only 9 €/month (excluding VAT). What do you think? (maybe it's not GDPR compliant....) @Professor Kaos @Alejandro @Nora Flora

AK

Alex Kaos Wed 22 Sep 2021 10:43AM

Cool, yes this sounds good. I'm definitely up for shifting our services away from the mainstream. We don't need the Mailchimp features imo. We can transfer our contact list over and leave the Mailchimp account paused for as a backup if it is ever needed.

Do we have anyone who wants to set it up?

K

Kaliope Wed 22 Sep 2021 11:28AM

Sounds great, I already set up a test account! Maybe you can help with address migration @Alejandro or share the login details (I don't have Mailchimp access)? The templates we used so far will need some love... we can either start from scratch or someone needs to help with some CSS magic

A

Alejandro Wed 22 Sep 2021 12:54PM

Perfect. I will import the audience and check the account settings to leave it ready. We can make some CSS magic too :)

K

Kaliope Fri 24 Sep 2021 3:39PM

Mission complete! 💪 I'll update the general newsletter thread as well to avoid confusion

NF

Nora Flora Sun 26 Sep 2021 6:40AM

Hi @Kate Are you sending out the census from the new account? Or shall I still send this from Mailchimp? How is this going?

Load More