Proposer (name, handle, etc.):

@Saskia (The Fuzzy Facilitator)

Proposer’s role:

Board member, FB group admin

Why is the proposer the appropriate person to make this decision:

Because she handles, with others, the incoming facebook group requests

Who are the people/roles most affected by this proposal:

1. FB admins & moderators
    @Clément Marchand Le Poittevin @Jan Thomas @waldo @Hanna-Maija @Alexxx @Remy Schneider & Eyal (who is not on talk)

2. FB users who wish to become part of the KB facebook group but did not answer a question

Who are the people/roles with the most knowledge and experience relevant to this proposal:

See point 1. above.

Proposal

What is the proposal:

Deleting Facebook Group Requests which didn't answer the question. Deleting the step which has been reported to me as requested practice: Writing the people who did not answer the question with the request to follow up on the question in order to become part of the group.

According to @Clément Marchand Le Poittevin there is a 10% return rate when he asks this question to people.

I am convinced that we base our community on communication and participation. I do not believe people who are not able to answer a single question (especially when the answer is linked in the question, so not-knowing is not a valid reason) are necessarily a good fit for the community.

What is the motivation for this proposal:

Streamlining the moderation process.

How would this proposal be implemented:

We stop asking 'Please answer the question' and simply delete group requests which didn't bother to answer.

Who would implement this proposal:
See point 1. under 'Who is affected'

When would this proposal be implemented:
Immediatley after the decision has been made

What would be the cost (time, money, effort, etc.) of this proposal:

It would cost less time and energy for moderators.

What are the existing/active counter-proposals:

Asking the people to answer the group question.

What are the advantages of this proposal (relative to the current situation and/or counter-proposals):

See above.

What are the disadvantages of this proposal (relative to the current situation and/or counter-proposals):

Less inclusivity for people who cannot answer a single question about the most basic 10 principles of the event.

Advice Process

Until when will the advice process run:

Until a consensus has been reached, but 2 weeks maximum.

W

walto Tue 4 Feb 2020 4:50PM

I would agree. There is the caveat though that people who are invited into a group, do not get asked these questions. Should there be a different rule for those people?

DU

Alina, also known as Universe Thu 6 Feb 2020 12:54AM

Agree.

C

Cairn (Clément) Sun 9 Feb 2020 11:12AM

I agree on this as well, for all the reasons mentioned by Saskia.
Also thinking of creating a "Welcome to Kiez Burn" message that could be sent to people once they join the group could be worthwhile, just made a new thread to discuss this :)

C

Cairn (Clément) Sat 22 Feb 2020 11:43AM

As we are over 2 weeks after the proposal, I'm gonna go ahead and assume that we're in agreement on this, based on the feedback.
Therefore I will be deleting membership requests that come without an answer to the principles question.
2 notes:
- Invitation by other members will not be impacted by this
- I will always leave a couple of days before deleting the request, as it has happened (sometimes) that people answer the question in that time frame.

S

Saskia Wed 5 Feb 2020 8:49PM

If that is the case currently as well, this question is a valid one to bring up but can be asked for the current process as well, right?

I mean. If people are invited they don't need to answer the question anyways. In that they get a different rule currently. Totally valdi to question that, - maybe invites need to be ristricted? Can they? Need to check...

This question is about people who need to answer questions. Invited people don't need to.