talk.kiezburn.org
Wed 21 Jul 2021 6:52PM

Seeking Advice: How to reallocate Storage space to Kieze for the year 2021/22?

M Mareike Public Seen by 151

Starting this thread for Storage Lead @Thomas Hohe (who is currently on the road🚌)

Initial storage thread as reference > Storage Thread

Kiez Burn Org and Kieze are storing their stuff in a barn close to Freiland. This space is now super packed and will be emptied out by us until Kiez Burn Wednesday.

After Kiez Burn many Kieze have already stated they would want to store their stuff there again. Right now it looks like there might not be enough space for everyone and most Kieze will probably have MORE stuff after this Kiez Burn.

This thread is to collect ideas about how to reallocate the limited storage space for the upcoming year transparently and as fair as possible.

Some ideas:

1. Kieze can apply for storage space until a certain date. Divide the available storage space by the number of Kieze. Every Kiez gets the same amount of space (probably quiet small) and has to take care of storing everything else somewhere else or disposing of it.

2. Kieze can apply for storage space until a certain date. They state if they need a small (1), medium (2) or large space (3). The space will then be distributed by Storage Lead.

3. There is a storage space map with the available storage space slots. Kieze can pick out their slots (like picking a seat in the airplane). First come first serve.

Feedback/Ideas/Suggestions would be appreciated. Thomas is taking it from here:)

@Erin Jeavons-Fellows for Kieze

Some Kieze (Leads) I know:

@Annette @Cris @Jan-Christian Kaspareit @Jan Thomas @Professor Kaos please tag more!

@Veroca R. Sala @Bee

@Thomas Hohe please add all info like costs per m2, available space etc. - if you have this information already

TO CONFIRM:

Can we use the other half of the Barn???

PRICES OF THE BARN -

(information comes from this comment)

The barn has a total of 177,6 sqm and Kiezburn pays €1000/p.a. for that. This comes down to €5,63/sqm for the Camps.

P

Purzel Wed 21 Jul 2021 8:51PM

As far as I've seen during spark, there is plenty space left that is currently used to store non kb stuff.

VRS

Veroca R. Sala Wed 21 Jul 2021 9:47PM

True.there is one half of the barn that looks like empty... who to ask about that?

AK

Alex Kaos Wed 21 Jul 2021 10:44PM

I believe no, we rent the left half of the barn only. Our storage is currently at capacity, but not efficient.

VRS

Veroca R. Sala Sun 25 Jul 2021 9:59AM

Hey Thanks Thanks. I love to read discussions about this as am interested in seeing all the different ideas and ways to potentially solve the storage issue. Im sure a good thing will come out of these comments🙌

I guess my opinion here goes along the line of my previous proposal in the other comment ...
However what you propose is a viable solution, the questions that come to my mind are these:

• Why would we make life "easier" to bigger camps? IMO big camps have (in general) more experience, more people, more money liquidity, and resources to dispose of trash, organize, and rent stuff etc. Whereas smaller camps struggle to get drivers to drive stuff back to Berlin or rent vans and store stuff somewhere else, simply because they have fewer members

• The promise to return is a good one, however, where is that promise tied to? to a deposit fee or to a word? In either case, they still might not return if things change over the course of the year, no? So, to me, this will be a requisite more for the "paperwork" to allocate space than as a practical solution. But indeed could be interesting to apply to encourage some sort of commitment from the Kieze. In the end, we want them to come back and it eases the work for allocation as well. But you might end up with a great number of Kieze promising they are coming back.

• My biggest question: Do we want to facilitate storage to those who need it or to those who are more involved, have more easy access to information, those who are "stronger"?

I am personally aware of how exclusive is Talk Sometimes, and how many Kieze/participants are left behind because our communications and way of working aren't so clear to them, however, all camps are, (to me), still, the soul of Kiez burn, they provide the sparkle and fun we have out there. If we made this process too exclusive they might not grow next year, they might not even come back.

But again this is my personal opinion. I read the approach in your proposal as: The bigger and stronger the Kieze are, will get the most, leaving to the smaller Kieze not so many chances to become bigger and stronger over time, as they might need to start over every year.

What is dear to my heart is to give the chance to all Kieze to store the most important things and encourage them to not store trash in the shed. Taking into account that the bigger Kieze, as they have more resources, could make a lill effort to make space for other Kieze, inclusion and communal effort principle flag here. I am not the realizer of Storge, I am not a Kiez Lead, I am a simple participant giving opinions. I'd love to see more !!!

• About "fewer" complaints: I guess there will be complaints anyways😆 The "bigger-kieze-get-storage" is a decision, no?

again: I guess my opinion here goes along the line of my previous proposal in the other comment ...

TH

Thomas Hohe Sun 25 Jul 2021 2:27PM

I do see the point, really. What I don’t like is the prospect of basically arbitrarily allocating storage space and this proposal mediates that.

as far as the promise to return next year goes: that problem we face with every camp that stores their stuff with every proposal, so I wouldn’t worry too much about that.

TH

Thomas Hohe Sun 25 Jul 2021 2:34PM

I’m unsure on how to come up with a number that nudges the way we’d intend it to go. To make up our own pricing/depositing mechanism simply hoping that it has the effect we hope or wish it will will run the risk that it 1) creates paperwork and 2) doesn’t do what we want it to do.

Have volunteers and realizers decide on what’s okay and what isn’t might place them (me ;) in an unpleasant conflict-prone situation with dozens of hung-over people who rightfully are confused by the necessarily arbitrary decisions made in storage.

I don’t mind winging this during strike, give me a crown and a scepter and I’ll do it, but there may be a less top-down alternative.

VRS

Veroca R. Sala Sun 25 Jul 2021 3:02PM

Are you able to ask the barn owner if the other half of the barn is available for us ?? I've been there and there is some random stuff stored but nicely organized would free up a whole lot of space for us, maybe that would solve the whole problem (?) . If you r not in Germany maybe @Jan Thomas could ask this question to the barn owner for us?

TH

Thomas Hohe Sun 25 Jul 2021 3:12PM

I would assume that it would solve the scarcity problem, for this year at least. I’m still in Mexico, so if someone else could reach out to the barn owner, that’d be great. Lmk if you guys can’t get around to doing it, though!

VRS

Veroca R. Sala Sun 25 Jul 2021 3:49PM

Hey, Seeing it like that it's fair enough, im glad you point out your concern so I can better explain what I have envisioned, otherwise indeed, option #2 will put you/strike volunteers on Storage in an awkward position of having to decide on the spot and reject Kieze from the storage. TOUGH ONE.

The strike-storage volunteer Role I suggest is not much about deciding on the spot and kicking out, but encouraging the Kieze-strikers to pile up properly to make better usage of the space, helping/pushing them to pile well and to not use more than what they have "booked" but from a contribution-to-a-good-outcome position - not to be the bad people to fight with at storage.

I do see your point, that option #2 might become a bit messy onsite (?), we could still use option #1? the Kieze renting small, medium, or large parcel + deposit fee + still having volunteers onsite to coordinate the strikers pilling up shit on storage and using the space "correctly".

I’m unsure on how to come up with a number that nudges the way we’d intend it to go. To make up our own pricing/depositing mechanism simply hoping that it has the effect we hope or wish it will will run the risk that it 1) creates paperwork and 2) doesn’t do what we want it to do.

I see I see, and yes, I am also unsure this will take us to where we want to go. I do believe it is worth trying, as the end goal is to be more fair, helpful with the small ones while the big ones will be more "supportive", instead of the opposite.

Let's set a price of the storage + the deposit fee for medium and large parcels and,maybe make trial signup; stating in the sign-up-for-storage form that, it is not 100% that they will get storage only by signing up but they have to wait to get confirmation. Send out to the Kieze and see what is that you get!

if the approach/price of deposit didn't give the result we expected and we have 90% of the Kieze requesting large-sized parcels, then we are better off canceling and moving forward with a different approach, but hey, we better move fast!!! can't believe the event is getting so close !😲

Example: A camp with 30 members paid 100 bucks to have storage for a year, and they used a lot of space, im sure if they were asked for a 300bucks deposit for the large size parcel, they will downsize to a medium where they would pay 100/150bucks (?) or small with no deposit at all.

Are these too crazy numbers?

Camp members this year might have to chip in more money, and it is the Kiezes problem how they return money to the members next year, probably, as a regular tax refund, one gets the money back next year, IF ONE REQUEST IT; the camp lead might or not be chasing members to return their Moneyzz. Not your problem.

What are your thoughts?

Item removed

Load More