talk.kiezburn.org
Thu 8 Apr 2021 7:26PM

PROPOSAL 2021 Kiez Burn Theme

EJ Erin Jeavons-Fellows Public Seen by 182

Proposer: @Erin Jeavons-Fellows

Proposer’s role:

To gather ideas for the Kiez Burn 2021 Theme.

The advice process

The first step in the advice process is to gather input and advice from experts and people affected. (see realities)

Information gathered before posting

I didn't gather any information before I wrote this proposal. This is a collective decision of the KB 2021 community.

People/roles most affected by this proposal

• Everyone

• No one

People/roles with the most knowledge and experience relevant to this proposal:

• Graphics person (maybe me) - they will need to put the graphics together for the event and have a decent amount of time to do that

The proposal

Background

In 2019, it was WILD AT HEART

In 2020, we were WILD AT HOME

What theme would we consider to represent our journey back to Kiez Burn in 2021?

I personally would love to have a theme that encapsulates our collective journey through 2020 and 2021. Maybe putting our heads together we can think of something beautiful. I'd love for it to NOT have anything referencing Corona, to be honest!

The proposal

Let's collect ideas and we can vote on one!

How would the proposal be implemented

In previous years we have collected the ideas on facebook and talk by a deadline and then conducted a vote. the one with the most vote wins. I propose for simplicity we can do that again.

Who would implement this proposal

Everyone by voting.

When would this proposal be implemented

ideally 2 months before the event so that the tickets, graphics and social people have time to collaborate.

What would be the cost (time, money, effort, etc.) of this proposal

no cost to define a theme. we can collect ideas on fb and talk and vote on talk.

What are the advantages of this proposal (relative to the current situation and/or counter-proposals)

This proposal relates to the KB principles through communal effort and community. We will be united under a common theme that will encompass the entire event and the lead up to it. Everyone can vote.

Decision

A decision on the theme could be taken by early May giving us a month to colect and think of ideas. It will then give the graphics team a decent amount of time to create all teh assets (and there are alot of them) for the event.

8th April - proposals open

4th June - proposals close

4-11 June - - voting for theme

11 June - Theme announced

Theme Proposals:

The Starry Night -  "I dream my painting and I paint my dream..." - Vincent van Gogh. The Starry Night is the famous oil painting by Van Gogh. He painted this piece in 1889 and it depicts the view from the east-facing window of his asylum room in Saint-Rémy-de-Provence, just before sunrise, with the addition of an imaginary village... He created this in a lockdown... A beautiful creation of a phenomenal twisted skyline with a village that existed in his imagination... Much like we have been locked inside our own asylums feeling like we are going crazy, we will create our own little village under the starry night of Freiland. We are all artists, creators and believers. What can we create while looking out the window of our own asylum until we meet again in the imaginary village? Step into our own Starry Night 🌌 "I dream my painting and I paint my dream..." - Vincent van gogh

Forest of Arden

This fantasy forest from Shakespeare's 'As You Like It' serves as a temporary place of refuge from the default world! It is a place for meditation, self-discovery, and self-renewal and is a symbol of freedom. The Forest of Arden provides a place for forgiveness and mental healing to many, in which they come out of the falsehood of the world.

Cross-dressing and usurping gender norms are large themes, we see characters taking on new names and identities when they enter the forest. Within the the forest all they do is meet each other in turns, indulge in some stimulating conversation about their different problems and state of minds and, not least, sing songs and be joyful. The forest is arguably not just a place, but a state of mind, something which can be carried in the hearts and minds of those who've been touched by its magic.

HEIMSPIEL

We wanna go home to KB and play together... And after all the time, we did spend at home (and hopefully had some playfulness there as well) the final return to Freiland, to home should feel to all of us like a piece of cake, or a "Heimspiel" as we would say in German!

Pro`s: - Easy to understand (even for illiterate guys) and very accessible - Invites playfulness - Reminds you of taking care of everything as you would at home... - Opens a vast field for costumes and shenanigans...

Contra: - Might attract some football-lovers, that don't have a clue, what the burn is about...

Order of the Phoenix

The phoenix represents rebirth through destruction - one of the core ideas of every burn. Probably this idea has already been proposed a hundred times in the past but now it fits more than ever. Now, "after" (or at least in the pause of) a massive pandemic, let us give rebirth to the 10 Priciples of Burning Man. Under the cover of massive testing, safety and... Harry Potter Magic. (more description below)

Theme: 'Journey to the Outside'

A theme where we get to construct fantastical cultures, new horizons, making journeys into space or to unknown lands; where we travel far away and enjoy adventures in in outlandish locations!

Resurrection
no description

Sun of the Queen (crown of sun = Corona)
No description

R

Robert Tue 18 May 2021 5:33PM

As the deadline has been postponed I propose...

Order of the Phoenix

TLDR: The phoenix represents rebirth through destruction - one of the core ideas of every burn. Probably this idea has already been proposed a hundred times in the past but now it fits more than ever. Now, "after" (or at least in the pause of) a massive pandemic, let us give rebirth to the 10 Priciples of Burning Man. Under the cover of massive testing, safety and... Harry Potter Magic.

And here is a slightly longer description featuring fictional, semi-fictional and real characters (adapted from Wikipedia):

Before the second wave starts – when a virus called Corona declared war on the burner world – Alba Fumbledore, headmistress of Smokewartz School of Burning and an upstanding and powerful citizen of the burner world, attempted to take control of the situation by founding the Order of the Phoenix. Several characters joined the organization, seeking to prevent Corona from taking over the burner world and establishing a tyrannical new world order threatening the 10 Principles of Burning Man. During this period, before the events of Wild at Home, the Order sustained heavy losses, including the sickness of fellow burners.

Corona's first reign of terror ended after the Lockdown Light, Öffnungs-Blindflug and the unsuccessful attempt to Brücken-Lockdown. The lockdown rebounded on to it and severely diminished Corona's powers and as a result the Order was temporarily disbanded due to the lack of any further threat.

When Drosten reported that Corona had returned, towards the end of Drosten and the Goblet of Vaccines, Fumbledore reactivated the Order. Many of the original members returned and were soon joined by recruits. The Order established their headquarters at Freiland, a made-to-be-safe space from Corona that allowed reestablishing the 10 Principles of Burning Man.

The Order led the fight against Corona while the Minister of Conspiracy, Attilus Aluhut refused to accept its return. In Kiezburn and the Order of the Phoenix, some Order members take turns guarding Syringe Vaccinawley's prophecy, which referred to Corona's downfall and Drosten's role in defeating it. Some members also participated in a battle at the Office of Public Order in order to obtain the permission for the event to happen in the first place.

[Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_the_Phoenix_(fictional_organisation) ]

AK

Alex Kaos Wed 26 May 2021 1:01PM

I like the idea.
Although we did have a phoenix Effigy last year.

And another important point, we have 11 Principles. Well it's as important as you consider consent important, which most Kiez Burners do!

https://kiezburn.org/community/principles/

C

Cris Tue 25 May 2021 11:13AM

ready to vote :)

TT

Till Tailor Fri 28 May 2021 11:56AM

Ok... I changed my mind... I do want to propose a Theme as well... Just because I feel, that the proposed themes are all a bit too elitist and artsy... So I suggest:

HEIMSPIEL

We wanna go home to KB and play together... And after all the time, we did spend at home (and hopefully had some playfulness there as well) the final return to Freiland, to home should feel to all of us like a piece of cake, or a "Heimspiel" as we would say in German!

Pro`s: - Easy to understand (even for illiterate guys) and very accessible - Invites playfulness - Reminds you of taking care of everything as you would at home... - Opens a vast field for costumes and shenanigans...

Contra: - Might attract some football-lovers, that don't have a clue, what the burn is about...

W

walto Mon 31 May 2021 11:55PM

If a theme is known, attractive and resonates with the attendees, it can be truly inspirational for the art, effigy, temple, people talk about it, the booklet, bracelets,...

Personally I find the starry night and Van Gogh reference amazing. I could imagine people doing a van gogh museum art walk, or something with ears,... (could the effigy be a giant ear?).

Anyway, loving all the different options, super curious what the end result will be. I also think this process has engaged a lot of people, which is great!

I guess the next step will be coming to a decision what the theme will be? Any idea on how you want to do that Erin?

Here goes an overengineered and prolly stupid idea, but what about:

1. gathering in the park

2. one by one the people with a theme suggestion step on a wooden box (I have one) and speak about their theme suggestion (I have a speaker if needed)

3. we get an applause meter on the phone to measure which theme gets the most applause, that theme wins.

4. afterward it is a chat & drink thing?

EJ

Erin Jeavons-Fellows Wed 2 Jun 2021 7:49AM

@waldo I would prefer to do a poll on talk. i think people who would like to have a say are not all in berlin. Its a little less exciting but i think more inclusive

W

walto Thu 3 Jun 2021 3:51PM

sounds perfect :)

EJ

Erin Jeavons-Fellows Tue 1 Jun 2021 1:56PM

Final calls for theme this week! Poll begins next week!

EJ

Poll Created Fri 4 Jun 2021 8:20AM

Kiez Burn Theme 2021 Closed Fri 11 Jun 2021 4:00PM

Outcome
by Erin Jeavons-Fellows Sat 12 Jun 2021 10:28AM

The Forest or Arden is the winner for kiez Burn 2021!

It's time to vote on the theme for 2021.

We have 7 suggestions from people over the last month! Please select the one which is your favourite. Poll closes nice 6pm next friday 11 June. 1 week!

Descriptions in the details area of this thread.

Results

Results Option % of points Voters
Forest of Arden 33.3% 24  
The Starry Night 30.6% 22  
Resurrection 13.9% 10  
HEIMSPIEL 6.9% 5  
Order of the Phoenix 5.6% 4  
Sun of the Queen 5.6% 4  
Journey to the Outside 4.2% 3  
Undecided 0% 59  

55 of 114 people have participated (48%)

TT

Till Tailor Fri 4 Jun 2021 12:33PM

Load More