talk.kiezburn.org
Thu 8 Apr 2021 7:26PM

PROPOSAL 2021 Kiez Burn Theme

EJ Erin Jeavons-Fellows Public Seen by 182

Proposer: @Erin Jeavons-Fellows

Proposer’s role:

To gather ideas for the Kiez Burn 2021 Theme.

The advice process

The first step in the advice process is to gather input and advice from experts and people affected. (see realities)

Information gathered before posting

I didn't gather any information before I wrote this proposal. This is a collective decision of the KB 2021 community.

People/roles most affected by this proposal

• Everyone

• No one

People/roles with the most knowledge and experience relevant to this proposal:

• Graphics person (maybe me) - they will need to put the graphics together for the event and have a decent amount of time to do that

The proposal

Background

In 2019, it was WILD AT HEART

In 2020, we were WILD AT HOME

What theme would we consider to represent our journey back to Kiez Burn in 2021?

I personally would love to have a theme that encapsulates our collective journey through 2020 and 2021. Maybe putting our heads together we can think of something beautiful. I'd love for it to NOT have anything referencing Corona, to be honest!

The proposal

Let's collect ideas and we can vote on one!

How would the proposal be implemented

In previous years we have collected the ideas on facebook and talk by a deadline and then conducted a vote. the one with the most vote wins. I propose for simplicity we can do that again.

Who would implement this proposal

Everyone by voting.

When would this proposal be implemented

ideally 2 months before the event so that the tickets, graphics and social people have time to collaborate.

What would be the cost (time, money, effort, etc.) of this proposal

no cost to define a theme. we can collect ideas on fb and talk and vote on talk.

What are the advantages of this proposal (relative to the current situation and/or counter-proposals)

This proposal relates to the KB principles through communal effort and community. We will be united under a common theme that will encompass the entire event and the lead up to it. Everyone can vote.

Decision

A decision on the theme could be taken by early May giving us a month to colect and think of ideas. It will then give the graphics team a decent amount of time to create all teh assets (and there are alot of them) for the event.

8th April - proposals open

4th June - proposals close

4-11 June - - voting for theme

11 June - Theme announced

Theme Proposals:

The Starry Night -  "I dream my painting and I paint my dream..." - Vincent van Gogh. The Starry Night is the famous oil painting by Van Gogh. He painted this piece in 1889 and it depicts the view from the east-facing window of his asylum room in Saint-Rémy-de-Provence, just before sunrise, with the addition of an imaginary village... He created this in a lockdown... A beautiful creation of a phenomenal twisted skyline with a village that existed in his imagination... Much like we have been locked inside our own asylums feeling like we are going crazy, we will create our own little village under the starry night of Freiland. We are all artists, creators and believers. What can we create while looking out the window of our own asylum until we meet again in the imaginary village? Step into our own Starry Night 🌌 "I dream my painting and I paint my dream..." - Vincent van gogh

Forest of Arden

This fantasy forest from Shakespeare's 'As You Like It' serves as a temporary place of refuge from the default world! It is a place for meditation, self-discovery, and self-renewal and is a symbol of freedom. The Forest of Arden provides a place for forgiveness and mental healing to many, in which they come out of the falsehood of the world.

Cross-dressing and usurping gender norms are large themes, we see characters taking on new names and identities when they enter the forest. Within the the forest all they do is meet each other in turns, indulge in some stimulating conversation about their different problems and state of minds and, not least, sing songs and be joyful. The forest is arguably not just a place, but a state of mind, something which can be carried in the hearts and minds of those who've been touched by its magic.

HEIMSPIEL

We wanna go home to KB and play together... And after all the time, we did spend at home (and hopefully had some playfulness there as well) the final return to Freiland, to home should feel to all of us like a piece of cake, or a "Heimspiel" as we would say in German!

Pro`s: - Easy to understand (even for illiterate guys) and very accessible - Invites playfulness - Reminds you of taking care of everything as you would at home... - Opens a vast field for costumes and shenanigans...

Contra: - Might attract some football-lovers, that don't have a clue, what the burn is about...

Order of the Phoenix

The phoenix represents rebirth through destruction - one of the core ideas of every burn. Probably this idea has already been proposed a hundred times in the past but now it fits more than ever. Now, "after" (or at least in the pause of) a massive pandemic, let us give rebirth to the 10 Priciples of Burning Man. Under the cover of massive testing, safety and... Harry Potter Magic. (more description below)

Theme: 'Journey to the Outside'

A theme where we get to construct fantastical cultures, new horizons, making journeys into space or to unknown lands; where we travel far away and enjoy adventures in in outlandish locations!

Resurrection
no description

Sun of the Queen (crown of sun = Corona)
No description

EJ

Erin Jeavons-Fellows Thu 8 Apr 2021 7:56PM

The Starry Night - The Starry Night is the famous oil painting by Van Gogh. He painted this piece in 1889 and it depicts the view from the east-facing window of his asylum room in Saint-Rémy-de-Provence, just before sunrise, with the addition of an imaginary village... He created this in a lockdown... A beautiful creation of a phenomenal twisted skyline with a village that existed in his imagination... Much like we have been locked inside our own asylums feeling like we are going crazy, we will create our own little village under the starry night of Freiland. We are all artists, creators and believers. What can we create while looking out the window of our own asylum until we meet again in the imaginary village? Step into our own Starry Night 🌌
"I dream my painting and I paint my dream..." - Vincent van Gogh

JH

Jaina Hirai Tue 20 Apr 2021 12:26PM

❤️ Erin, I just love this proposal. It feels so right...

K

Karlo Tue 20 Apr 2021 12:48PM

its a kind of a caveman/cavewoman feeling which looks shiny in the summer future but we are afraid and uncertain. the lack of a soul guidance is obvious and painful for so many people, our community. I wanted to get a temple of immediacy created to value the being of now. very hard I have been teached to value the life now, see the loves now and get a soul connection..

I wished the theme would transmit this - afraid looking out of our caves, make it small, safe and with that even more beautiful and finally value and living the „now“.

if we could choose a theme very carefully taking this into considerations I would be very thankful

EJ

Erin Jeavons-Fellows Fri 7 May 2021 6:32PM

Hey there hasnt been much movement on this topic. Maybe its too early or maybe no one cares so much. Ill extend the deadline for another few weeks incase people fo care or have forgotten 😂

AK

Alex Kaos Thu 13 May 2021 7:37AM

I love the theme, very beautiful. The pragmatist in me is a little concerned that we will only have about 4 hours of starlight each night thought lol. (I know that's not what it's about...)

It looks like you're winning by default, because you're the only one with enough faith and initiative to move forward. Which by my books, is brave leadership in it's core essence, and a totally valid and inspiring reason to move forward with this theme :)

(Kiez Burn will happen in one form or another - People on Facebook might be uncertain, but you Talkies should know, and just hold faith a little longer)

EJ

Erin Jeavons-Fellows Thu 13 May 2021 9:18AM

Hehe I suppose my desire to spark conversation about if there was to be a theme is more about being about to have the program put together and the wristbands (if any) and the look of the event to feel unique to us if it goes ahead. Its little to do with faith if it goes ahead hahaha
And totally see your point about the lack of actual stars 😆
I'm looking at this from a purely practical perspective... more aware of how long it usually takes to put these things together and we may not be able to have these if we wait to decide, vote and create 1 month before the event. Things need to go in for print 3 weeks before. So trying to be a little preemptive with that and doing some small efforts now on deciding a theme, could have alot of value when we are on site such as being able to have a program in our hands and know whats happening and promoting the workshops etc. This does impact peoples experience at a burn.
I'm totally OK if this initiative fails LOL if the broader group chooses not to participate. We may need to find alternative ways to have a program like, people print out a word doc at home before they arrive on site. Also feasible and less work for me!

B

Bee Thu 13 May 2021 10:43AM

Heya! I would like to add a suggestion for the theme! :)

Forest of Arden

This fantasy forest from Shakespeare's 'As You Like It' serves as a temporary place of refuge from the default world! It is a place for meditation, self-discovery, and self-renewal and is a symbol of freedom. The Forest of Arden provides a place for forgiveness and mental healing to many, in which they come out of the falsehood of the world. Cross-dressing and usurping gender norms are large themes, with characters taking on new names and identities when they enter the forest. Within the the forest all they do is meet each other in turns, indulge in some stimulating conversation about their different problems and state of minds and, not least, sing songs and be joyful. The forest is arguably not just a place, but a state of mind, something which can be carried in the hearts and minds of those who've been touched by its magic.

B

Bee Thu 13 May 2021 11:07AM

There's even an impromptu wedding ;)

AK

Alex Kaos Wed 26 May 2021 1:03PM

I really love this. To be able to do exactly what we do, as predicted by a screenwrite from 400 years ago is very cool. Simple yet on point.

I guess aesthetically, 'forest' would be the theme for the most part though? Do you have any images?

AK

Alex Kaos Wed 26 May 2021 1:04PM

Wait I found something...

Load More