talk.kiezburn.org
Thu 12 Sep 2019 9:22PM

For 2020, an interactive face for Free Campers

RN Robert Nevitt Public Seen by 135

Last year was my first Kiez Burn. It was lonely in some ways in Free Camping. There were friendly people, and neighbors I enjoyed getting to know, but there was no glue. I gave it a lot of thought and I think I'd like to start a camp that Free Campers can participate in without obligation. Essentially it would be inside Free Camping, but not directly on, the entry path to free camping. We would offer late night grilled cheese sandwiches, or peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. I would encourage free campers to participate in the cooking and distribution so that they too could experience the best part of any burn: gifting to others. In addition we could welcome new free campers and help them find a spot. Would this be possible? I know traditionally Free Camping doesn't have any sort of camp/kiez, but I feel like this could be a nice gateway experience for people new to burning.

Just as some background, I've been to 13 of the big burns and have run a food camp (Vietnamese Iced Coffee Experience) at the big burn. I know that a sandwich shop with simple ingredients and preparation is something I can achieve.

JT

Jan Thomas Fri 13 Sep 2019 6:59AM

I think it's a great idea.. exactly the sort of burner spirit stuff that the event needs to become more awesome :-)

KK

Kelly Kellective Fri 13 Sep 2019 7:37AM

I love this!

EJ

Erin Jeavons-Fellows Mon 30 Sep 2019 12:08PM

love this also! nice!

DU

Alina, also known as Universe Sat 18 Jan 2020 9:15AM

OMG I've had the Vietnamese Iced Coffee experience @robertnevitt !!! That was so awesome! Please bring it to KiezBurn, if you are still up for doing that, we don't have enough good coffee gifting happening on our tiny Playa! :) <3 I LOVE the idea but I'd say a freecamper camp with cooking and distribution is not...errr..... free camping anymore. Or is it just a naming problem? These days, I love having the option of being left alone while camping while getting involved and contributing "out there in the dust - or grass". But if I read you well, I could still do that - there'd be space left for truly grumpy and antisocial-when-off-the-Playa free campers? :D

S

Saskia Sun 19 Jan 2020 2:46PM

I sure do hope @robertnevitt is still up for it. :D

M

Martijn Thu 23 Jan 2020 8:25AM

Some people are genuine ronins, consciously choosing to participate AND retreat to one . self when needed. I helped around where ever i could, earned some meals, made lots of friends.
of course initiatives are awesome, i felt quite a bit of community developing around me, neighbours looked out for each other and helped where and if needed, shared what could be shared.
I felt welcomed, it was awesome.

My point being, let's not make a Kiez of the freecamper area maybe?

DU

Alina, also known as Universe Thu 23 Jan 2020 10:12AM

Maybe somewhat modelled on the Orphan Camp at BM? It started as a way for people to group together to share some basics: : "a potential group of people gathering to share a few resources to evolve a camp, one without dues or requirements to participate in a predetermined way". It's been quite a success and has now evolved into a big orphan mama: http://www.orphanendorphin.com/ ;)

DU

Alina, also known as Universe Thu 23 Jan 2020 10:08AM

Yes, this is exactly the point I was trying to make - thank you.. I am at a stage of my burner life where I still LOVE community and want to BE with the community, but sometimes really need to GET AWAY from the community hahahahahahaha. :laughing: