talk.kiezburn.org
Mon 28 Jun 2021 12:25PM

2021 Kiez Burn - Tone of voice

F Franzi Public Seen by 69

Whether you are new in the Kiez Burner scene or simply new in the role of communications for the event. Here are some guidelines to help you make an accurate copy:

How to refer to Kiez Burn

• Event

• Community

• Burn 

• Avoid: “KB” (Kiwi Burn) and Festival (of course)

How to address Kiez burners depending on the context

• Community members

• Burners

• Participants

• Ticketholders  

• Kiddos (?) (comes from the Deine Mudda Kiez Culture)

• Avoid “hippie”, as it’s being used as a derogatory word to sometimes refer to lazy freeloaders, who are in it for the cuddle puddle and the drugs without putting in the work.

• Note about First time Burners: to be addressed from kiez Burn acc like "first-time-burners" and not "virgins"

Those that want to bring art to the event: 

• Dreamers: primarily want to call them dreamers in line with the Dreams Platform

• Artists

• Performers

• Creatives

Camps: 

• Kieze! Do stick to the German word Kiez/e even if your copy is in English

Tickets

• Directed ticket

• Low Income

• Dreamit: Directed ticket for Dreamers

• Avoid: abbreviations “DT” - “LI” 

Rangers:

• Wandering rangers

• Rangers

• Avoid: “Kiez Burn police”

Those that have a responsibility role within the Organization:

• Realizers - Stick to this word as much as possible

• Lead -  old fashion way calling Realizers (?) 

Posting Triggering content on Social Media campaigns:

I had some feedback while making an educational campaign about consent where I posted triggering content. It is desired that whoever posts this kind of content is announcing TW (Trigger warning) here are more instructions on how to do so https://www.lookslikefilm.com/2019/01/27/how-to-write-a-trigger-warning/

Feedback from the community on the Telegram channel (2021)

Here is a Telgram Channel Survey co-creation thread: where there is plenty of feedback on how to make the announcements better, many of these also apply to Facebook and even newsletter

VRS

Veroca R. Sala Tue 29 Jun 2021 10:47AM

hehe for the grammar mistakes, we will need a proofreader REALIZER Lol! to add on realities 😆

CY

CJ Yetman Tue 29 Jun 2021 9:55AM

2. what does "Glowies" mean? definitely don't like that; personally I think the tone of this one has real problems. Too much imperative (e.g. "Use your tokens" versus "This is where you can use your tokens"). Telling people to put their complaints under their pillow is ridiculous. Little jabs like "organised burners do xyz" and thinly veiled insults about being "self-reliant" are totally unnecessary.; Also hate the emojis

CY

CJ Yetman Tue 29 Jun 2021 9:45AM

1. tone is fine; hate all the emojis; "artist" should be "dreamer"; a few minor grammar mistakes; otherwise, totally acceptable in my opinion

CY

CJ Yetman Tue 29 Jun 2021 9:58AM

also agree that the "no fire in free campers area" post is not the best we can do

F

Franzi Tue 29 Jun 2021 8:01AM

@Veroca R. Sala yeah I think the term I used is misleading. Tone of voice is a very technical business term (Doesnt mean "watch your tone" etc). "It's more  the style used to communicate with the audience, considering the choice of words, brand personality, and emotional tone. The idea behind this concept is to define a standard approach that the brand will have in all its communication."

VRS

Veroca R. Sala Mon 12 Jul 2021 8:02AM

Just read this @CJ Yetman I Will have in mind the general idea of this particular feedback. However I find that some of it comes from a personal taste. No intention to reject the input though. I point out the following to also maybe open to other suggest how can I better do this job:

• I guess Imperatives are used because it is also a way to make the message more direct and short. Like "join in" "vote", "go to this thread" etc etc. This copy is for telegram and Facebook, for a newsletter I would indeed consider a more compound phrasing. I consider imperative is fine as long as it is not overdone. If the general feeling is that our tone is primarily imperative then inwill immediately watch out on that. Butnif we only have a couple of imperative sentences imo it doesn't need to be too bad. But maybe I'm wrong!!!

• The pillow thing it was a joke and I get different opinions about jokes in life. I get you dont like it. I take that as a personal taste unless we want to determine that Kiez Burn account shouldnt make jokes on announcements; otherwise I find jokes to have different impact in people. Again... as long as it is not overdone.

• Emojis; I'm trying to use less emojis. However I do like them plus I am more a visual-memory-person ( dont know how to call it lol) and tend to recognize messages better when the text is combined with colors and headings ( many ppl I know too). Telegram doesn't let me use headings and so much customization (not that I know at least) so that emojis help me make the message more "interesting". It's is also my touch, my personal creation/composition and I understand you and many others probably don't like it.

• Glowie: I guess it comes from glow? To address a bright, sparkly person? Do you feel offended/ uncomfortable by this term? When sending 2 annoucements per day it is difficult to be original and use a variety of terms to catch the interest of the reader. I consider that starting a message always with the same expression like " dear kiezburner" "dear participant" would turn out very boring. If we wanna strictly reduce the salutation to a certain 3 /4 words that is fine. Lets decide that and comms realizers will stick to it and maybe play around with other wording in the body of the message but not in The main salutation where we address participants who might feel offended / not identified.

• "Organised burners" sentence: again I feel we touch different fibres when addressing people. I'm being more and more aware of that. I dont think i will ever be able to write something that will make everyone happy, I don't do this by profession, but I take it and will put more time and thought to it to find a more neutral wording without feeling im writing a police report.

Thanks For your input. I really value it. Once home I will suggest in the body of the thread to gather opinion to limit the initial salutation to certain words (or not) and about the jokes.

lets see what the community in general thinks. ❤️

VRS

Veroca R. Sala Mon 12 Jul 2021 10:32AM

Oh not at all! its good to discuss our point a of view to get somewhere.

CY

CJ Yetman Mon 28 Jun 2021 7:21PM

I prefer that we say Rangers instead Wanderers (it's much easier to say and understand over the radios). But beyond that, I prefer even more that we choose one and stick with it rather than flipping back and forth or even combining them.