talk.kiezburn.org
Mon 28 Jun 2021 12:25PM

2021 Kiez Burn - Tone of voice

F Franzi Public Seen by 69

Whether you are new in the Kiez Burner scene or simply new in the role of communications for the event. Here are some guidelines to help you make an accurate copy:

How to refer to Kiez Burn

• Event

• Community

• Burn 

• Avoid: “KB” (Kiwi Burn) and Festival (of course)

How to address Kiez burners depending on the context

• Community members

• Burners

• Participants

• Ticketholders  

• Kiddos (?) (comes from the Deine Mudda Kiez Culture)

• Avoid “hippie”, as it’s being used as a derogatory word to sometimes refer to lazy freeloaders, who are in it for the cuddle puddle and the drugs without putting in the work.

• Note about First time Burners: to be addressed from kiez Burn acc like "first-time-burners" and not "virgins"

Those that want to bring art to the event: 

• Dreamers: primarily want to call them dreamers in line with the Dreams Platform

• Artists

• Performers

• Creatives

Camps: 

• Kieze! Do stick to the German word Kiez/e even if your copy is in English

Tickets

• Directed ticket

• Low Income

• Dreamit: Directed ticket for Dreamers

• Avoid: abbreviations “DT” - “LI” 

Rangers:

• Wandering rangers

• Rangers

• Avoid: “Kiez Burn police”

Those that have a responsibility role within the Organization:

• Realizers - Stick to this word as much as possible

• Lead -  old fashion way calling Realizers (?) 

Posting Triggering content on Social Media campaigns:

I had some feedback while making an educational campaign about consent where I posted triggering content. It is desired that whoever posts this kind of content is announcing TW (Trigger warning) here are more instructions on how to do so https://www.lookslikefilm.com/2019/01/27/how-to-write-a-trigger-warning/

Feedback from the community on the Telegram channel (2021)

Here is a Telgram Channel Survey co-creation thread: where there is plenty of feedback on how to make the announcements better, many of these also apply to Facebook and even newsletter

VRS

Veroca R. Sala Mon 28 Jun 2021 12:29PM

Thanks Franzi, I also made this document that could grow bigger with other´s input. I dont have much mind space for this atm, but I just made a simple framework

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1pt2U65MWPeJnUn09ycASXxDn4VJBmHSWaf2BTPi0S18/edit

VRS

Veroca R. Sala Mon 28 Jun 2021 6:19PM

I also dont think is a tone of voice matter, but a vocabulary issue. Or is the current tone not good? id like feedback on that too.

Thanks

S

Saskia Tue 29 Jun 2021 7:08AM

I think KORG and old board was full of NO BS muttis who are (some by profession) communication experts.The absence of these people is something I feel a lot in the communicornication department.

I like the hint, as I will continue to use the word 'hippie' in a derogatory manner and I do not want any hippie to think I address them positively when I yell 'EY DU HIPPIE'.

T

Thilo Wed 30 Jun 2021 7:33AM

Dear Hippies,

I can't believe we are discussing this. The tone is totally fine, a bit ironic and obviously in good humour. BM has always been a snarky place and when you are easily offended it might just not be for you. Let the (volunteer) communication hippies do their job and if you don't like what they are doing you can take the role next year (or talk to them directly). Fuck your burn. Hippies!

W

walto Sat 3 Jul 2021 10:52PM

Thank you for creating a framework within which we can reflect on how we talk and portray ourselves. I believe there have been a lot of amazing posts and great communication. At the same time, we can always improve. I appreciate the openness to reflect and see how we can do even better.

I think we all share the goal of engaging the community more towards people taking up more volunteering roles, voting more in dreams, etc. I indeed personally flagged some specific words/context that might be adjusted towards better reaching everyone in the group. I am sure we can continue to learn and improve 🙂

Different words are triggering for different people. So rather than rely on an external power (hippies, burners, "the real playa"), we can always rely on us: Kiez Burn. We are the burn with the highest % of volunteering and % of volunteers actually showing up to shifts (that I know of), and we have had the highest % of Dream vote participation in the past, and of course the best people :D. So, in case of doubt: we can always address people as Kiez Burners :)

Thank you @Veroca R. Sala for being so on it and being open for feedback, that's really awesome :-) But also, please don't feel too bound by it, I think generally people have been super happy about your texts 👍

small admin: Vero - maybe it makes sense to migrate the nice google doc summary and replace the main post of Franzi here so to make this thread a sort of wiki that constantly learns & adjusts? (google docs just become graveyards after a while)

Kisses from daddy 😉

O

Owl Sun 11 Jul 2021 11:10PM

I'm sorry, I just came across the document @Veroca R. Sala shared with me. I have some small remarks ...

I agree with @waldo that official documents and messages should contain as neutral wordings as possible while not denying that this is a culture on its own.

But beyond that, discussions are living language and can contain even between two close people slightly different meanings. For example, being addressed as Kiddo would be for me being a father a bit strange (or maybe it is used only within Deine Mudda context?).

On the other side, in Burning Bär context hippie is usually a reference which doesn't exclude the person using it. Yes, you are right, there is no Burning Bär at Kiez Burn. But people are from different corners of the culture. Actually, coming from a Burning Man background, people at Burning Man talk about two main culture movements: hippies and punks. Both usually doesn't look as expected, but hippies usually prefer community experiences, while punks often explore themselves and the boundaries of the community.

I'd also like to throw the definition of "Neo-Hippie" into the ring, which is sort of an established lifestyle definition (e.g. https://www.zukunftsinstitut.de/artikel/lebensstile/neo-hippies-hedonisten-mit-wir-kultur).

So in my opinion, the type of person mentioned in the document in a bad way is a "Sparkle Pony" to me, while hippie is a totally legit description of myself, even though it is describing more a goal than a current state. So for me I'll translate @Saskia (The Fuzzy Facilitator) 's addressing of EY DU HIPPIE for myself in EY DU SPARKLE PONY (or generally anticipate that she is always addressing me in a positive way 🙂)

VRS

Veroca R. Sala Fri 30 Jul 2021 10:39PM

updated the thread :

Note about First time Burners: to be addressed from kiez Burn acc like "first-time-burners" and not "virgins"

Received feedback about the word "virgins" when addressing first-time burners and I think it's fair enough.

I wonder what about the expression "Fresh meat" 😆that we (?) I, sometimes use...would it be arguable that Kiez Burn account uses this expression.

VRS

Veroca R. Sala Mon 2 Aug 2021 9:39AM

not sure this is the right thread to post this but... I have updated the thread with some more feedback

Posting Triggering content on Social Media campaigns:

I had some feedback while making an educational campaign about consent where I posted triggering content. It is desired that whoever posts this kind of content is announcing TW (Trigger warning) here are more instructions on how to do so https://www.lookslikefilm.com/2019/01/27/how-to-write-a-trigger-warning/

Plus added:

Here is a Telgram Channel Survey co-creation thread: where there is plenty of feedback on how to make the announcements better, many of these also apply to Facebook and even newsletter

W

walto Sat 3 Jul 2021 10:33PM

I believe when someone posts as "kiez Burn e.V.", this carries a different weight than if someone posts in their own name.

CY

CJ Yetman Tue 29 Jun 2021 9:55AM

2. what does "Glowies" mean? definitely don't like that; personally I think the tone of this one has real problems. Too much imperative (e.g. "Use your tokens" versus "This is where you can use your tokens"). Telling people to put their complaints under their pillow is ridiculous. Little jabs like "organised burners do xyz" and thinly veiled insults about being "self-reliant" are totally unnecessary.; Also hate the emojis

Load More