talk.kiezburn.org
Mon 28 Jun 2021 12:25PM

2021 Kiez Burn - Tone of voice

F Franzi Public Seen by 69

Whether you are new in the Kiez Burner scene or simply new in the role of communications for the event. Here are some guidelines to help you make an accurate copy:

How to refer to Kiez Burn

• Event

• Community

• Burn 

• Avoid: “KB” (Kiwi Burn) and Festival (of course)

How to address Kiez burners depending on the context

• Community members

• Burners

• Participants

• Ticketholders  

• Kiddos (?) (comes from the Deine Mudda Kiez Culture)

• Avoid “hippie”, as it’s being used as a derogatory word to sometimes refer to lazy freeloaders, who are in it for the cuddle puddle and the drugs without putting in the work.

• Note about First time Burners: to be addressed from kiez Burn acc like "first-time-burners" and not "virgins"

Those that want to bring art to the event: 

• Dreamers: primarily want to call them dreamers in line with the Dreams Platform

• Artists

• Performers

• Creatives

Camps: 

• Kieze! Do stick to the German word Kiez/e even if your copy is in English

Tickets

• Directed ticket

• Low Income

• Dreamit: Directed ticket for Dreamers

• Avoid: abbreviations “DT” - “LI” 

Rangers:

• Wandering rangers

• Rangers

• Avoid: “Kiez Burn police”

Those that have a responsibility role within the Organization:

• Realizers - Stick to this word as much as possible

• Lead -  old fashion way calling Realizers (?) 

Posting Triggering content on Social Media campaigns:

I had some feedback while making an educational campaign about consent where I posted triggering content. It is desired that whoever posts this kind of content is announcing TW (Trigger warning) here are more instructions on how to do so https://www.lookslikefilm.com/2019/01/27/how-to-write-a-trigger-warning/

Feedback from the community on the Telegram channel (2021)

Here is a Telgram Channel Survey co-creation thread: where there is plenty of feedback on how to make the announcements better, many of these also apply to Facebook and even newsletter

O

Owl Mon 12 Jul 2021 12:05PM

Helga also disagreed slightly. She’s associating hippie with someone maybe willing but probably not able to do serious work and thinking, maybe because of too much alcohol or substances (or general Verpeiltheit). But she‘s using it in a positive way, since that person is as well a part of the community as she is. Saskias usage reminds me more of Captain Barbossa (like: „Loose the cannons, you lazy bilge rats!“)😉

W

walto Sat 3 Jul 2021 10:53PM

"Kiez Burner" would probably be fine for you CJ?

VRS

Veroca R. Sala Tue 29 Jun 2021 8:46AM

@Franzi @Saskia (The Fuzzy Facilitator) thanks, I certainly dont have a business background, however, I dont get it as a "watch your tone".

I understand the tone is: Friendly, informal, enthusiastic, formal = overall this will be the tone/style.

• I repeat the question: is the current tone/style not the desired one we want for Kiez burn?

• In regards to the wording itself: I understand some words are not desired ( like "hippie") and some terminology is not preferred ( Like Kiez Burn "police" to refer to rangers), For the wording, I have created the document (very basic for now) to help comms realizers choose more accurate wording for announcements.

• In regards to the tone I leave here a few examples to register feedback for the future: Please be as concise as possible when giving feedback. Each post has a number on it.

I Appreciate input that doesnt come out of your personal taste to define Kiez Burn Standard tone of voice.

1. The word "hippies" has been replaced after receiving feedback

2. The "bus of hippies" didn't go on the name of Kiez Burn Account luckily, and it has been modified (not the graphic though).

1. The following is not my copy and I personally dont like the tone, it feels like telling-off.

I also want to point out I've been doing only Facebook and Telegram copy. Newsletter realizer is surprisingly not part of the communicorns group (I can't tag her)

S

Saskia Tue 29 Jun 2021 8:54AM

I would like to provide feedback but am also not 100% sure how to PinPoint this.

I think the general tone in all of these posts is okay for me. I wouldn’t know how to do it better, I am far from a communication expert. I have to say, compared to last years tone (2020 winter) I am more than happy with the tone itself.

e.g. I do not read the fire post as condescend or ‘telling off’ but as a post that does not beat around the bush and even provides solutions.

I understood it is really more about the idea who we are and who we are not. We are neither another Berlin rave event, nor are we a rainbow gathering.

I do not like to be addressed as a hippie and many other burners also do not like it because it is used sometimes to refer to lazy freeloaders who are in it for the cuddle puddle and the drugs and the orgies without putting in the work.

And there was criticism towards the ‘real playa’ because the same applies. We align much more with European regionals than we do with the ‘big burn’ with the ‘real playa’.

And if I understand Waldos initial criticism correctly it is about being mindful how we use specific terms, because we address specific people (burner) and they might start to wonder what Kiez Burn is if we continue to address participants as hippies.

VRS

Veroca R. Sala Tue 29 Jun 2021 9:03AM

CY

CJ Yetman Tue 29 Jun 2021 9:38AM

funny... maybe it's because I'm a lot older and American, but... I think of hippies as part of a very significant subculture from the 60's and 70's that had very real, very substantial cultural and political effects.... and "burners" as a millennial type, ironic, campy, comic-con but think I'm cooler kind of people... LOL

CY

CJ Yetman Tue 29 Jun 2021 9:40AM

to be clear.... I personally cringe at being called either

W

walto Sat 3 Jul 2021 10:33PM

I believe when someone posts as "kiez Burn e.V.", this carries a different weight than if someone posts in their own name.

S

Saskia Tue 29 Jun 2021 10:05AM

Ok boomer ❤️🥰😙❤️ (When you read this I am already running from you 😅)

(yes I know you’re no boomer)

CY

CJ Yetman Tue 29 Jun 2021 10:05AM

hahahaha.... I'm not that old

Load More