Manual for dreamers - Read this if you want to SUBMIT A DREAM
0. Practical stuff
Here is a practical guideline on how to submit a dream
1. I have questions/remarks?
All communication around Dreams happen in the group Dreams on Kiez Burn Talk!
2. Dream Grants
This year we're performing an experiment in decentralization and crowdsourcing. At previous Kiez Burns, the art grant committee has decided among the applications which ones get funding and how much. What's different this year is that every Kiez Burner gets a chance to distribute their own ticket fee to the project they would like to see realized. More on this later.
There is still an art grant committee, now renamed the Dream Guides, who will assist Dreamers with navigating the system, make calls in case of confusion and new rules if they are necessary. They have two jobs. Firstly to make sure your budget accords with the budget guidelines below as well as address general feasibility and safety concerns so Kiez Burners will be able to give out their grants based solely on what they want to see happen at the Kiez Burn. Secondly they can help you with your project if you need to make contacts, present your project better, and so on if you need it.
So instead of making your case to the art grant committee of why you should get a grant, you are now making that case to the community and working with the Dream Guides to do so.
Because this is a complex system, there will be ways of taking advantage of it. We kindly ask you not to do so. Consider this the primary rule of Dream Grants: don't do stuff that has us make things more complicated.
3. Dream guiding
Dream guides assist Dreamers with navigating the system, make calls in case of confusion and new rules if they are necessary.
They have two responsibilities:
1. Firstly to make sure your budget accords with the budget guidelines (discussion below) as well as address general feasibility and safety concerns so Kiez Burners will be able to give out their grants based solely on what they want to see happen at Kiez Burn.
2. Secondly they can help you with your project if you need to make contacts, present your project better, and so on if you need it.
4. Best Practice
Best Practice is the intentions behind the Budget guidelines. If a rule is ambiguous or vague toward some aspect of a Dream, the Dream guide uses this to find a suitable decision.
* Investment in equipment should be long term and take steps to enrich the Kiez Burn community, not for personal gain.
* Kiez Burn encourages Dreams to be bold and reach as many as possible while still valuing "hidden surprises". Your Dream can be as little or big as you wish.
* Dreams should follow the principle of self-reliance by not supporting basic personal or camp needs.
* A gift is from you - not the Dream grant.
* Illegal is still illegal and will not be supported.
* Don't do stuff that has us make things more complicated.
5. Budget Guidelines
When creating your application, one of the most important things, and the primary thing to be audited, is the budget. Your budget should reflect the reality of your Dream and fit within the following guidelines. Duplicate this spreadsheet, add your budget and share the budget in your dream.
Remember to use a link that makes the sheet accessible for the public, otherwise, your dream guide cannot enable your project for granting.
- Power Art grants cannot cover the cost of power for the Kiez. Power that is used by the Kiez needs to be paid by the Kiez and cannot be channeled through the dreams platform. Dreams do can qualify for power, but this should be closely reviewed and should not exceed reasonable amounts. As a point of orientation: every 1KW, costs kiez burn around 75€. So a water boiler, would cost Kiez Burn around 225€.
- Materials. wood, metal, nails, raw fabric, PVC, LED strips, paint are eligible, providing best practices and LNT are followed.
- Equipment. machines, tools, tent, lights and related equipment in budgets below 150€ is eligible for grants without any special, e.g. Dream Guide review, providing best practices are followed. If something has significant resale value, or has private use outside the project we trust that its reuse value will be added back into the community. Dreamers should do their best to source equipment from within the community.
- Transport. Covered exclusively for materials and equipment involved in Dreams (not your personal camping equipment). Transport ideally does not exceed 20% of you total budget (exceptions follow best practice and need to be approved by a dream guide). You won't get enough to hire your own truck, but maybe enough to cover your needs if you band together with someone else.
- Consumables. For private/camps use is NOT eligible for funding. If the consumable is a necessary and integral part of a Dream, mark it in the Dream Application on the platform and a Dream Guide will review your Dream for dispensation - following best practices. The Dreamer needs to present what artistic value the consumable adds to the Dream and why it should be eligible for art funding. The experience cannot be exclusive to a defined group, it must be offered to any participant at Kiez Burn. The consumable should not contribute to limiting the principle of radical self reliance by providing replacement for other food. Example of consumable eligible for grants: pirate popcorn for a treasure hunt. Ps: Please note that intoxicants (incl. alcohol) are never eligible for grants or dispensation. Dream Guides WILL ask for further clarification of artistic implementation of consumables if they exceed 10% of the budget for camps or 20% for individual art projects. Consumables that got rejected are mostly food related consumables for camps that intend on having a theme camp centered around gifting(!) said food.
- Costumes. For private/camp use is NOT eligible for funding. If the costume is a necessary and integral part of a Dream (example: a Pirate Ship Flash Mob), mark it in the Dream application and a Dream Guide will review your Dream for dispensation - following best practices. The experience cannot be exclusive to a defined group, it must be offered to any participant at Kiez Burn (e.g. a costume dress-up where every participant can lend costumes IS eligible)
- Art Vehicles: Dreams containing vehicles (including water vessels) are subject to a close review by a Dream Guide to make sure that the Dream follows best practices and safety measures. Limitations and wishes may change from year to year to ensure best possible Art Vehicle growth. Rule of thumb has been that only expenses related to the modification of the vehicle to turn it into an Art Vehicle has been approved, but it is open for discussion and will be decided on a case by case basis to enable more moving art. Ps: Please note that any expenses and fees tied the registration and ownership of a vehicle is not eligible for grants or dispensation.
- **Fire: **Dreams that want to burn are susceptible to conditions outside of our control - if we have a Feuerbrand warning of 3 or above, we are not able to burn on site. Please keep this in mind when submitting a proposal. Additionally, all projects that will be burned must do so within the parameters set forth by the Fire & Burn Lead. More information to follow on Talk.
- Sound Equipment: This topic can be discussed between Dream Guides and Dreamers, but normally we look to support audio from Kieze and individuals who want to bring sound systems. As a general rule of thumb, sound equipment can be funded up to 30% of the budget.
- Public Service Upgrade: Although we may do things differently in the future, this year we will allow all public service upgrades (e.g., Gate, Toilets, etc) to be open to funding on the Dreams platform. The public service should be just that - public and open to all attendees of Kiez Burn. They should not be a gift, but a basic infrastructure that is getting better through the intervention and attention of the Dreamer.
If the type of expense is not categorized above, or in case of doubt, please ask your Dream Guide.
KEEP YOUR RECEIPTS - Only expenses with receipts are able to be reimbursed.
6. How grants are earned and finalized
Each Kiez Burn ticket holder gets 10 grants to distribute between the Dreams they would like to see realised. To do this you create an account on the Dream Platform.
Once the deadline for spending grants is reached, the Kiez Burn Dream Admins will optimise Dream Grants, in a "finalization" step.
These are the points to keep in mind:
* If your Dream received enough grants to reach its minimum budget, you are guaranteed to receive a Dream Grant from Kiez Burn. But Dreams which are still significantly below their minimum budget might not get funded. That money will be redirected to the other Dreams.
* Once finalization is completed, and if your Dream received enough grants (see previous point), your Dream Grant is likely to be updated, and increased.
Placement can only be discussed in the site planning group on Kiez Burn talk.
8. Important Dates
- 10/03: Dreams submission start
- 05/04: start voting process
- closing of the Dreams platform voting & submission
- Redistribution of remaining votes
- 1/05: communication to all Dreamers on final budget
- 19-23/06: Kiez Burn!
- Hand in your receipts to the finance responsible
- 31/08: deadline for handing in receipts
9. After the event
Doing the budget
Reimbursements work like this:
* The expenses must follow the budget guidelines
* Each expense must be backed by a receipt
Further to be filled out.
This applies only to Dreams which spent more than their initial Dream Grant.
If you submit more receipts than you grant was worth for, you might get more refunds. To be evaluated.
Saskia Wed 10 Apr 2019 9:20AM
*Reminder for camps applying for dreams
If your theme camp is surrounding consumables (f.e. a food camp or a bar camp) we remind you that this is considered camp gifting. Intoxicants are excluded, but that doesn't mean that having gallons of lemonade and juice in your budget proposal will go through. Please keep the relative number reasonable and add an explanation why this specific consumable is art and not a gifting that can and should be backed by the camp.
Paulus Thu 25 Apr 2019 11:23AM
Didn't we agree to change the dates for
- closing of the Dreams platform voting & submission
- Redistribution of remaining votes
to 5.May ?
walto Mon 8 Apr 2019 4:07PM
I would argue that the best practices detailed above are equally or even more important than the budget guidelines as put in the shorter document. If we go with a simple "rules" thing, then we need to be way more explicit in the guidelines. I would strongly argue against simply communicating these budget guidelines.
Saskia Thu 4 Apr 2019 7:22AM
I just read the mail and ran to fix it myself but OOOOOOOK,
Got another task for you.
Dreams without Picture are shown with the Midburn-placeholder-picture. Is there a way to make it a Kiez Burn Placeholding pic?
walto Wed 3 Apr 2019 8:23PM
somehow clicking on the link leads me to a 404 page, but copying the link works...
Saskia Thu 4 Apr 2019 6:33AM
Seems to be a loomio problem. Calling for the robot ministry! @henrik ?
walto Thu 25 Apr 2019 1:30PM
30.04 close dreams platform submissin
5.05 close dreams platform voting
thereafter: redistribution remaining votes
Henrik 🤖 Thu 4 Apr 2019 7:16AM
ROBOT MINISTRY TO THE RESCUE! :robot:
it seems like you mixed up the URL-formatting. you wrote:
but the correct format is
fixed it for you :heart:
Saskia · Tue 2 Apr 2019 9:47AM
Created a single Budget Guidelines Sheet for Dream Guides to link to when talking to their dreamers.