Tickets: general info
- This year both me and @janthomas will be doing tickets again. However, we are still glad if someone else would like to join and help out. Reach out on talk if that is the case!
- The event will grow slightly this time around, and therefore, we will have more tickets. Truly insightful, I know.
- We will maintain a 10% amount of low income tickets; same prices and same platform (burnertickets.com) as last year; we will still require ID on the door. imma start saying it now, so no one forgets # Changes Let's talk about what is not the same this year:
- Lottery: we have decided against a lottery because (despite the fact we loved the democratizing aspect of it) it generated a really big, messy, prone to errors, pile of work. It also complicated Matthew's life intensely. And we love Matthew (he runs burnertickets.com). We will go for a first come, first serve basis. More info on this topic to come
- 1 ticket per purchase. Unlike last year, one person will be able to buy exactly one ticket. This is so for all types of tickets # Types of tickets Low income: in line with radical inclusion, we lower the price of 10% of our ticket base for those who are less buoyant. Process is same as last year - fill in a form to tell us your story, the ticket team will review them anonymously and inform the person in time. 40 EUR Regular: they will go on sale and be buyable till we sell out. 80 EUR Directed: these tickets are for those of us involved in making in KB2019 happen, for artists, for kieze, for those volunteering the crap out of their event time, etc... They will be unique, and tightly controlled. 80 EUR Kids: fo FREE! under the age of 18. But we still require names. None of these tickets are valid without ID. # Rough Timeline All dates are subject to change due to weather and/or strong winds
Fri 15 Mar Publish Ticket Details - Website, Newsletter, Facebook
Fri 15 Mar Low income ticket registration opens & announced in newsletter
Mon 25 Mar Further ticketing input sent to BurnerTickets - Stripe & Paypal API details, content & fields for participation survey & potentially info about Dreams @henrik
April 3rd Low income ticket registration ends
April 1-2 nd Low income ticket applicants informed about outcome
TBD Open Directed Ticket Sales
Fr April 5th Regular Sales start. Flood gates open.
Mon 17 Jun Ticket transfer system closes (end of day CET)
Help us discern some open thoughts and ideas, or forever bear the consequences.
1. Bus tickets? Will we sell bus tickets? More info is required on this, and we need to relay it to burnertickets in a timely fashion. ALso conditions (transferable? ID? name only?)
2. Camprevan tickets? Similar to the above. Do we need them? do these come with an onsite driving permision?
3. something we haven't thought of?
Additional input from community
After the leads meeting on 21/03 there was some additional input from people that we will take into account:
- Directed tickets should contain the same form/volunteer participation list as regular tickets. No one escapes volunteering!
- Volunteer form needs to be done asap, and if possible be presented to the user before ticket purchase.
walto Sun 17 Mar 2019 4:55PM
We had a complaint last year about somebody buying a ticket with an email. They were automatically included in the newsletter of the Kiez Burn community. I am not sure how we could deal with this, but we should address it this year, because of GDPR. I see a couple of possibilities:
- we split up our newsletter into 2 parts: 1 event related, another community related and add a checkbox to the checkout where ppl can choose to be part of the community newsletter (and maybe write a text that the event newsletter will use the email they used for purchase, since it is a necessary requirement)
- we do not split up our newsletter. We do add a checkbox if they want to receive the newsletter, if people do not check that checkbox, they will not receive any communication from us via email (this might be very bad for community participation)
- we add a text that says something along the lines of "you hereby accept to receive the Kiez Burn newsletter" and it is mandatory for ticket purchase. Not sure if that is in line with GDPR rules, but I believe it is?
@holgerwessels do you have any insight in this?
Otto Mon 25 Mar 2019 12:03PM
@verocarsala and Myself are meeting this tomorrow (Tuesday 26th) to iron out the info ticket purchasers will have to give so they can easily turn into volunteers.
- Place tbd, @verocarsala please give me a place that fits your schedule, I am free all day, no restrictions.
- @janthomas this is an fyi, in case you can attend
Veroca R. Sala Mon 25 Mar 2019 1:22PM
Anywhere not too far from wedding or easy reachable with U6 U9 or the ring will be fine any time after 17.00?
Daniel Regev Mon 25 Mar 2019 5:41PM
Another important thing would be to make it super clear for ticket buyers: VOTE IN DREAMS PLATFORM!
Since our Art Grants system this year is 100% through Dreams Platform, hence ticket holders gets to decide, it would be a real shame if people don't vote.
As it stands now, most of the community is not aware of this and we will need to push hard, also to make the artists feel that the process is fair.
I think that making this clear via the ticketing system is one of our best ways to do so.
Your thoughts? @ottojuanbrunoriver @verocarsala @janthomas @waldo @henrik @remyschneider @alexxx ?
Leobard Mon 25 Mar 2019 11:05PM
Bus / Campervan tickets: we sold Bus/Campervan Tickets at Schloss Schönburn last year and it had multiple effects:
1) we could anticipate how many campervans would come
2) when we were sold out, suddenly people bought the campervan tickets (which was a "1 person + 1 campervan model, so this was a hack to get in") ... this I heard through rumour, others may report alternative facts.
So yes, selling Campervan / Bus tickets may be a good idea.
btw: We plan to come with a bus. a 16-seater + 1 driver. A kind of old-school-bus
Leobard Mon 25 Mar 2019 11:07PM
"something we haven't thought of?" --- we are missing the number of total available tickets in the plan :-)
Also would be good to know: how long did it take to sell out in 2018? What is the ratio of "want to get in" and "can get in" - which would help us (25 person Kiez) to plan our ticket-buying-frenzy-survival-strategy.
[deactivated account] Tue 26 Mar 2019 8:15PM
You have to absolutely make a community announcement of start of ticket sales 2 weeks before it starts - it is a first come, first serve lottery, so people need to know about it!
[deactivated account] Tue 26 Mar 2019 8:29PM
Directed: these tickets are for those of us involved in making in KB2019 happen, for artists, for kieze, for those volunteering the crap out of their event time, etc... They will be unique, and tightly controlled. Ticket fascism is a thing.
It is a great thing that you want some form of fascism at the burn, however this topic needs to be discussed in details. There are many different situations and they have to be treated as such. I would argue that the transfer of the direct ticket should be possible with an approval of ticketing team.
For instance we had a situation where a in 5 heads art group, 2 people got sick, but the group still needed 5 members to build their project. We should discuss and define the clear rule at this place.
[deactivated account] Tue 26 Mar 2019 8:51PM
Concerning the lottery, if we expect to have more people wanting to buy a ticket than tickets we should definitively do a lottery, even if it means more effort on our side.
In order to find out this out, we should do a Facebook or newsletter poll, @waldo or @loomikate what are the best channel in your opinion to reach out?
[deactivated account] Wed 27 Mar 2019 11:38PM
My question was: how to we make a poll and estimate the potential number of attendees.
All other burns i know were sold out. In case we have more people who want to come than tickets we should find a fair strategy to handle the situation. One of the good strategies is the lottery on top of direct sales for people who contribute a lot (artists, workshops, orga etc).
I would personally like to estimate a potential number of attendees. Facebook poll or create a ticket signup page, which even better but harder to do.
Jan Thomas Thu 28 Mar 2019 9:39AM
hey all - thanks for the comments/questions. I'll try to answer everything in one go:
TICKET SALE TIMING: There are factors outside of what the ticketing team can influence which are the reason for why no official date for the start of ticket sales (or prices) have been announced... Other than saying that it will be in early April, which was announced via newsletter, website & Facebook.
And we still don't have a final date - but from what I found out yesterday it seems like it should be possible to start sales in the week 8-12 April. So we will extend low income registration period by one week as we have enough time, and push updates here, on the website, Facebook and with the next newsletter going out on Friday.
DIRECTED TICKETS: These are transferable just like normal tickets, as they were in the past years. The core rule for directed tickets is simple: we want to ensure that all the people who are contributing to the event in an important way will have a ticket. That includes mainly Kieze, art projects or people in lead roles. While there are guidelines like giving a kiez 20% of their population in directed tickets, in the end we'll flexibly decide case by case to make sure all people that make the event great will be able to come.
LOTTERY: We had the exact same discussion last year - after 2K people tried buying a few hundred tickets for Burning Bär, we thought that with already over 2K people in our Facebook group we would need to do a lottery... which ended up causing lots of additional effort without being needed - i.e. we didn't end up selling all tickets in the lottery and needed to do another first-come first-served sale later which took weeks to sell remaining tickets. So given that our Facebook group is now only just hitting 3K people, and we have significantly more tickets we could sell than last year - there were numerous discussions about this topic and so far everyone else agreed that a lottery is not required at this stage - especially given that we have directed tickets to make sure all people that make the event awesome will get a ticket. By now the timeline is also so tight that I think it's too late to run a lottery anymore...
GDPR: I've looked into this also. People are buying their tickets and as part of that submitting their personal data to us. Because of this transaction we are allowed to process their personal data, and are also allowed to contact them via email with information regarding the event i.e. the ticket they purchased. This is lawful processing as per Art 6 1(b) GDPR. Where we need to be careful are the following two points:
1. In our Newsletter tool or on the dreams platform we need to clearly mark these emails as 2019 ticket holders, and not contact them beyond this years event - unless they specifically opted into this. So I'll look to adjust the process on Burnertickets to allow people to specifically opt in for general Kiezburn updates beyond this year's event, and export this to Mailchimp.
2. We need to prevent that names/emails of ticket holders are accessible publically. This means it's crucial that no-one creates publically available Spreadsheets e.g. with the volunteering info collected during ticket sales
I hope this covers all important points!
Jan Thomas Mon 1 Apr 2019 7:34PM
Hi all, some clarifications regarding directed tickets. We imagine the following flow:
* Everyone can initially try to get a ticket through the public sale starting this Friday. We don't expect to sell out super quick, so think that the majority of leads, kieze, artists etc. should be able to secure their tickets without issue.
* We have a large enough contingent of directed tickets in reserve to ensure that anyone who will be contributing to Kiezburn and still needs a ticket will get one - Even close to the event still..
* To apply for a directed ticket the following people can contact email@example.com with their request: Leads, Kiez Leads and Dreams Project Leads.
Any questions - Please ask! In future years and in case we get into a situation of the public tickets selling out immediately, we think it would be best to preallocate directed tickets for all key contributors so that none of them have to worry about securing their tickets... But we need to sell out first ;-)
Mareike Fri 5 Apr 2019 2:23PM
Hey @janthomas and @ottojuanbrunoriver are you aware of this on the eticket? i think everyone knows the dates but someone just contacted me panicking about the dates
Erin Jeavons-Fellows Tue 26 Mar 2019 11:43AM
when and how are directed tickets distributed?
Does the member of the kiez who registered the kiez, get the notification?
Owl Sun 31 Mar 2019 8:32PM
you might also want to update the kiezburn.org homepage. It still says April 1st for tickets.
Henrik 🤖 Tue 12 Mar 2019 11:50PM
Follow up question to 1. Camps:
Do Camps which are not open to new members also get directed Tickets?
Jan Thomas Wed 13 Mar 2019 12:03AM
Hmm, interesting corner case! I see no strong reason to make it more complex and exclude certain Kieze... so would suggest all camps can get them.
[deactivated account] Tue 26 Mar 2019 8:21PM
Does it make sense to start a ticket sale right after at least a couple of dozen of dream projects are set. It would be easier for most of the people to allocate their token right after they bough the ticket.
Otto Tue 26 Mar 2019 12:04AM
Total number of tickets is missing on purpose. We have more tickets than last year, and we sold out 6 days before the event started. Meaning: there will be plenty of tickets! Also, if you are a registered kiez, you will get some directed tickets.
Otto Tue 26 Mar 2019 3:36PM
Hey there! As stated above, Thu 28 Mar Open Directed Ticket Sales. They will run (meaning be purchasable) till the very end. If you are an active Lead with a role, you get one, and if you are part of a kiez you can also get some. Check with @lisa111 who is kieze coordinator for the matter :)
Jan Thomas Tue 12 Mar 2019 11:30PM
@danielregev our thoughts, based on needing surprisingly few directed tickets last year:
Camps: we could start from the 2018 policy: every Kiez gets 10% directed tickets of their population. This is only valid for camps registered until official deadline (currently 30 April). 1 ticket per directed ticket. Only camps starting at a size of 10ppl are eligible for directed tickets.
Yes, directed tickets are handed out on a loose "as needs" basis, based on general view that if someone contributes critically to a camp or project and needs a ticket, we will give one... also after the Dreams deadline.
At a ratio of Directed 1:8 General.
Jan Thomas Fri 5 Apr 2019 3:37PM
Thanks @mareike - we didn't catch that one before! it shall be fixed shortly...
Otto Mon 25 Mar 2019 3:24PM
https://goo.gl/maps/U4ktw5mU8Uk ? Best I could think in that general vicinity. If that doesnt work for you, lets meet there at 17.30
walto Wed 27 Mar 2019 4:16PM
@janthomas or @ottojuanbrunoriver any news on this? How do we phrase this?
Otto Thu 28 Mar 2019 9:54AM
We have an updated version of the ticketing process on the website, informing people about the "first come first serve" approach. The dates have changed, due to unforeseen administrative issues out of the influence of Kiezburn. Expect upcoming newsletter and FB messages to relay this information to the rest of the community.
Veroca R. Sala Tue 26 Mar 2019 8:08AM
Interesting point @danielregev I'll share this matter at the tickets meeting this evening.
Otto Thu 28 Mar 2019 9:58AM
I admit that it's a poor choice of words, but I wanted to make a joke. Apologies if you were offended. I see Jan has answered a lot of stuff already :)
Daniel Regev · Tue 12 Mar 2019 11:49AM
Thanks @ottojuanbrunoriver @janthomas you ROCK.
A couple of Q regarding directed tickets:
1. How does it work with camps? How many per camp, what's the process etc...
2. Hoes does it work with artists? Or in other words, due to the Dreams timeline, does it make sense to assume that the Directed Tickets are "saved" for also a later date?
3. How many Directed vs. General tickets are there?
Thanks for doing this!