Tue 10 Mar 2020 7:21AM

Workforce around the Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19)

F Franzi Public Seen by 39


  • Berlin just canceled all events with more than 1000 PAX until April 19th

  • Creme Bruelee got canceled

  • Belgian wonder-burn got canceled

  • ELS is thinking about canceling

  • Carneval of cultures canceled which is 31st of May

  • May day festives got canceled

  • CSD is thinking about canceling

  • Instructions guide from RKI for event facilitators

  • I talked to the Gesundheitsamt in Anklam (0383487602422) they can't give us any advice cuz they dont know themselves

Current Scenarios:

  • We might not get an event permit from the AMT

  • We might get canceled from the state if they extend the event ban

  • We are currently trying to understand our financial risk (costs we have to pay even the event gets cancelled - toilet, art, first aid etc)


  • Have Kiez Burn as planned

  • Have Kiez Burn later

  • Cancel Kiez Burn

As discussed during our Second Realizer Meeting I want to start and guide a Coronavirus workforce team.

I have made this post to the community over talk and facebook.

From what we understand so far, is that we know nothing and it is too early to seek advice. But we need to monitor the situation closely to ensure we stay on top of it.

I will map the main affected areas below (please add if I missed someone):

Legal @Saskia (The Fuzzy Facilitator)

Insurance @Holger Wessels

First Aid @Purzel

Safety Protocols @Bee

Site Lead Lead @CJ Yetman

Authorities @Jan Thomas

Tickets @Otto & @Keegan

Kieze Liaison @Hanna-Maija (Animal)

Communicorns @Erin Jeavons-Fellows

Finance @Alexxx

Gate @Mareike

I think for now we should do the following:

@Saskia (The Fuzzy Facilitator) - checkin with clubcommission, Wilde Moehre etc how they are handling the situation

@Purzel talk to the our First Aid vendor after we have signed the contract in what they advice us to do. (I wouldnt talk to the firemarshalls just yet, experience shows that this might hinder our permission)

@Bee Please make sure we have a proper evacuation plan in the protocols. And also review the plan for epidemic outbreak during event. Please also work with gate to ensure that they are ready.

@CJ Yetman Please share your advice and also cover the site lead training as appropriate.

@Jan Thomas Any thoughts from your side? Any conversation happening already in regards to getting the permission?

@Otto & @Keegan As part of the ticket set up you are working on terms and conditions. Please align with me so we add in messaging as appropriate. I found this article a good start, if you translate it with deepl it should work.

@Hanna-Maija (Animal) We need to start communicating to the Kieze when we get there about updated saftey and hygiene standards. Maybe we can send out a short comms, so they can address questions when they have them?

@Erin Jeavons-Fellows Please cover in the upcoming newsletters as appropriate.

@Alexxx We need to work out a financial risk analysis. To understand if the event gets cancelled in May/ June what that will entail. @waldo Can you help with this part por favor?

@Mareike Getting closer to the event we will need to make sure gate is ready to execute whatever the governmental requirements will be.

Awesome team. Happy to roll with you <3


Franzi Tue 10 Mar 2020 10:12AM

sorry moved it a lot. still learning talk. created a sub group now for us to work in.


Jan Thomas Tue 10 Mar 2020 11:11AM

Thanks @Franzi! Seems like the insurance question might be one of the first to answer - i.e. whether our event insurance would cover for a possible event cancellation, and whether we should actually close the insurance contract asap to ensure we're covered like this? @Holger Wessels can you maybe contact the broker about this?

No mention of it from the Amt as of yet, but I will check with them when we talk next!


Jan Thomas Tue 10 Mar 2020 1:13PM

Sorry to be sorta trolling, but it's too funny not to ;-)

Official statement from Burning Man Corp. about the Covid-19 'Corona' virus.

Tenderloin, SF March 9th 2020 (Global Playawire) -In recent days Burning Man HQ has been bombarded by questions, concerns and wild, unhinged demands concerning this years Burn and Covid19, playa name 'Dusty Corona'.  Frankly we've been appalled by most of your inquiries but nonetheless feel compelled to respond lest even worse rumors and fear mongering narratives get granted default legitimacy by our silence.  

So listen and listen good.

Say 'Yes' to Corona

People actively hosting the Corona virus will be allowed into Burning Man this year so long as they are ticket holders and are not trying to smuggle weapons, fireworks, animals or face masks.  The 12 Principals are quiet clear about this:  RADICAL INCLUSION doesn't just mean inviting your friends or allowing a Bloomberg voter to camp with you - it means actively welcoming carriers of a catastrophic global public health pandemic into the Steambath Project, on your art car, and yes, in your bacon.  

If you can't handle it there is always Coachella.

Safety will remain a distant 3rd.

After a behind closed door vote by the 32nd Council of Burning Man Elders (CBE), the 11th Principal - 'Safety Third' will remain 3rd and not be moved up to 'Safety 2nd' displacing Gorilla tape and zip ties.  In practice this means people with Corona virus will be admitted with a ticket (see above) and any face mask that looks like it might be effective will be confiscated at the gate.

Burning Man is an Experiment 

And like any good experiment it will be studied by people who are better than you.  Scientists will be seen on the playa in large numbers carrying out varied and sundry medical and scientific studies to better understand what happens when a deadly global virus experiencing hockey stick growth is embraced by an open, loving community like Burners.  A few notable examples will be MAPS conducting nightly tests on 1000 subjects at White Ocean of whether 2C-B is a potential vaccine for the Corona virus.  Foam Against the Machine will also be testing Dr. Bronners Magic Soap as a possible super fun and foamy topical vaccine.

You have already given your consent to on-demand blood, saliva and other specimen testing.  If you don't believe us, read the back of your ticket and don't be surprised when you are required to give a blood sample to some guy jumping out of a golf cart in a hazmat suit near the Temple at 2am yelling. "YOU'VE BEEN CHOSEN!  YOU'VE BEEN CHOSEN!  

Corona virus and the 12 Principals

We believe that the Radical Inclusion of Corona virus carriers on the playa is a Gift untainted by Commodification.  We believe the Corona virus is fully Self Reliant and excited to fully Express itself at Burning Man this year.  We believe if there are any negative effects of Corona virus on the playa that our Communal Effort and sense of Civic Responsibility will allow us to leave for the Grand Sierra Resort with No Trace of Corona virus interrupting the Immediacy of jumping in the pool head first, Safety Third.

See you dusty Burners.  Please, for the love of Larry Harvey, no more questions.


Owl Tue 10 Mar 2020 3:20PM

There is currently a discussion thread on the Burning Man regional contacts list around the cancellation of the French Creme Brûlee (planned for May I think), before they started to spend 15-20k. The swiss are still discussing their March 19th event since in Switzerland all gahterings over 1000 people are banned and smaller ones over 150 people need to do a risk assessment and get an ok from the health autorities. They say

So far we haven't made the decision to cancel. We are trying to comply with all regulations and make sure we can get a permit. That means we are taking some financial risks. We definitely want to be able to refund most of the ticket if we get cancelled.but the further we go, the more money we spend. Hard times. "

shall I share thoughts and decisions of other regional groups about their burns here or somewhere?

This is the daily updated page of the swiss burn:

and the FAQ for Africa Burn:


Owl Wed 11 Mar 2020 10:50AM

I've copy-pasted the two main discussions around that topic from the Burning Man Regionals Mailinglist into two documents. There are some interesting thoughts (burried) in the discussions. and In the end it all comes down to the Civic Responsibility principle "Community members who organize events should assume responsibility for public welfare".


Franzi Wed 11 Mar 2020 2:09PM

Short Update: We have checked event cancellation insurance. Nothing would really cover us right now. Alex and myself are looking into the financial risk analysis and will share asap.

@Purzel can you update on advise that you would give as a paramedic?

@Jan Thomas can you update on how the Amt sees the situation right now? Are they even willing in giving us a permission?

@Saskia (The Fuzzy Facilitator) can you upload the corona protocols from club commission in here?


Owl Wed 11 Mar 2020 2:43PM

I think tomorrow the Ministerpräsidenten der Länder will meet and shall agree on a common strategy concerning cancellation of events and other means. Maybe we'll get some first clarification for Mecklenburg-Vorpommern then.


Jan Thomas Wed 11 Mar 2020 2:53PM

Received the following from the Amt just now, i.e. for now they're just warning to prepare for possible event cancellations:


Sven Dudink Thu 12 Mar 2020 1:51AM

I am happy we got a warning from the amt, it sounds like they send a warning for cancellation when corona gets worse, as corona seems to spread similar to influenza (slows down in warm dry weather) i have the feeling we have a good chance on still letting the event happen, as i am not a expert on the matter i cant be sure, i just dont want people to give up their hopes on kiezburn in june before we get some more data about corona (especially about how it will spread in the next weeks)


Franzi Thu 12 Mar 2020 9:38AM

I have talked to several subject matter experts by now: we dont know anything. unfortunately. we don't know if it is seasonal or not (look at Spain 30degree and the virus keeps spreading). We dont know when we will find medicine to stop the outbreak. We dont know how long this will continues. What we do know is that all events are canceled until end of April and that next week we will have a shut down in Germany as well.

Load More