2020 Welcoming and Introduction to KB message for new FB group members

C Cairn (Clément) Public Seen by 42

Proposer

Proposer (name, handle, etc.):

@Clément Marchand Le Poittevin

Proposer’s role:

FB group moderator

Why is the proposer the appropriate person to make this decision:

Because he is one of the members handling the Facebook membership requests, and work makes him spend a ridiculous amount of time on FB.

Who are the people/roles most affected by this proposal:

1. FB admins & moderators who would decide to take part in this

2. FB users who are becoming part of the FB group

Who are the people/roles with the most knowledge and experience relevant to this proposal:

See point 1. above.

Proposal

What is the proposal:

Sending a premade welcome message to new members of the Kiez Burn FB group.
It could go something like this (I am fully open to changes):

Welcome XXX to the Kiez Burn Facebook group !
We are glad you decided to join the community on this cocreative adventure.
As things might seem a bit confusing at first, we thought we'd give you some basic information to get you started.
As you hopefully saw in the group description,

Group description:

Kiez Burn is a non-profit event that will take place xx/xx/2020 - an event that celebrates beauty and life in accordance with the 10 Burning Man Principles. Exclusively organized by volunteers, money can not be used on site, and this creates an ideal environment for a temporary shared community, deep connections and new discoveries.
The focus is not so much to party, but more on interaction and interactive ideas, art installations, performances, workshops and lots of music. In addition, we are very caring towards our environment, and leave no trace.
The motto of the event is “Participate, don't spectate”. Any money not spent on production goes directly into art grant scholarships, that help participants realize their dreams of creating installations, performances, workshops, spaces, and much more.
We believe this synergy and emphasis on community already exists in Berlin, and can take a new form during the event.
If you want to get informed, take a look at our website
www.kiezburn.org
And join the newsletter:
http://tiny.cc/kb-newsletter-signup
Our main communication forum is here:
https://talk.kiezburn.org/kiez-burn-2020-pre-event/
If you want to get involved, join one of the meetings or post something in the facebook group.

And if you have any questions, don't hesitate to reach out to me, I'll be happy to orient you as I can!

What is the motivation for this proposal:

Helping new members integrate the community and feel somewhat assisted in the first steps of their participation

How would this proposal be implemented:

Once a member is accepted to the group, an admin or moderator sends them the decided upon message.
It can be the person who accepted their request to join the group, but does not have to be, if this person does not wish to.
Then, in the Admin Activity section of the group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/kiezburn/adminactivities/
the person who sends the message adds a note to the membership acceptance, like "Welcome message sent", so that the other admins/moderators know who has/hasn't been welcomed.

It could also be made more efficient to add a second membership question in the FB group:
"Do you agree to receive a welcoming introduction to Kiez Burn by one of the admins/moderators of the group, being aware that it will be in your message requests inbox?"

This way, we increase the chances of people actually seeing this message, while ensuring we have their accord to contact them (not sure if that's needed legally as they may consent to it when joining the group?)

Who would implement this proposal:
See point 1. under 'Who is affected'
I would be willing to send this message to the people I accept in the group, and potentially to some others, but cannot commit to sending it to 100% of them.

When would this proposal be implemented:
Immediately after the decision has been made

What would be the cost (time, money, effort, etc.) of this proposal:

An estimate 2 minutes per new member PLUS the potential time to respond to their questions, which depending on the cases, could go from 0 to significant.

What are the existing/active counter-proposals:

We rightly assume people have read the group description, and assume as well that they know what to do from there.

What are the advantages of this proposal (relative to the current situation and/or counter-proposals):

Potentially increase the involvement of new members in the whole cocreative community.

What are the disadvantages of this proposal (relative to the current situation and/or counter-proposals):

Potentially time consuming.

Advice Process

Until when will the advice process run:

Until a consensus has been reached.

DU

Alina, also known as Universe Sun 9 Feb 2020 1:16PM

Great proposal! Thank you!

Would advice to use a combination of:

• membership questions (you can set automatic approval on answering the question)

• group rules (soft framework for communication style and what NOT to post in the group)

• a shortened welcome message always works very well (this one is waaaaaay too long to be read though).

I run a pretty tight FB group of 400+ humans and am happy to share some experience from being an admin.